69FORD

69 FB sail panel courtesy light removal

Hi fellow stang pwners

I have a 69 FB  and wish to change out the globes for led in the rear sail panel courtesy lights   HOW DO I REMOVETHE GLOBE ASSEMBLY ? 

forgive me but there must be a trick   a nack even as I dont wish to destroy something whilst pulling the wrong way ?/  help please   

John from Australia 

THanks for that    I think going by all the comments  its best to remove the sail  and do it that way   in my view it should of been designed like a 2 pin globe  insert and turn  but noooo 

Let me tell you that removing a sail panel that has been there for 40+ years is not for the weak.

Mine ran under the rear window molding..(or did)

things my not go well..

Slowly prying is your best bet...

I installed LED light strips..Now I can see in the back...

Even the new card board panels will fall apart if you remove them ,they may fall apart with out removing them .  Pry up gently and the lights will come out .

I started making them out of fiberglass ,they keep their shape no matter how hot or cold it may get,no vinyl to fall off and they keep their grain finish and the lights could be removed without damage . 

1 hour ago, mustangstofear said:

Jim, you better watch it you don't  get in trouble for  offering  advice when you make that part :)

Just can't help yourself.....  Sad.

2 hours ago, ray1970 said:

Let me tell you that removing a sail panel that has been there for 40+ years is not for the weak.

Mine ran under the rear window molding..(or did)

things my not go well..

Slowly prying is your best bet...

I installed LED light strips..Now I can see in the back...

All original sail panels were installed before the rear window, so the upper edge of the panel is held in place by the rear window gasket.

Edited by 69ShelbyGT350H
Spelling error, SALE!

The factory sail panels have a thin piece of metal wrapped around the hole where the lights go.  Replacement lights are not only slightly smaller but they are missing a straight edge on the mounting to prevent the lights from being installed at different angles from side to side.  69 lights also used a different angle on the bulb housing to push the light to the floor.  The earlier lights didn't have this because they were mounted lower.  The replacement lights are missing these three 69 features although you'll not find this documented in your parts catalogs.

david