ray1970

Car gender?

It is just one of those things I don't understand.

Cars have no gender. I have worked on cars most of my life and have never seen a vagina or a penis unless in the back seat.

So why are they  given a gender over and over in a post??

Try not to take this wrong......

On 6/29/2018 at 12:10 PM, RPM said:

There ya go - the definitive answer: when he sings "When I take HER to the drags SHE really shines" he isn't talking about his girlfriends headlights, and "SHE always turns in the fastest times" isn't about his girlfriend's libido.

All of my cars are women.

Natasha, Geneva, Luna, Sophia, Isabella, Giselle, Ivy, haven't named my 73 Lincoln Mark IV

Ships are considered women and named as well. It is nothing new to name cars.

This might answer your question...." One theory is that the habit carried over from men's habit of calling ships "she" and naming ships after women, most often goddesses in ancient times. While ships are not as common a mode of transportation for civilians any longer, in the American and British armed forces, active ships are still referred to as feminine. Similarly, when men became dependant on motor vehicles, they were an ornament of pride and cared for with great attention by their male owners. Some men had a very chauvinistic view of the female car in that it was just a pile of metal without him at the wheel (as the automobile was introduced, only men could afford to or in many areas legally operate one). Other men adopted the mentality that the automobile must be tended and coddled with a gentle hand and therefore was perceived as being feminine. "

Or this

"This can be for a number of reasons. When they are named, some males think of the vehicle as their significant other. They develop a relationship with the vehicle for any number of reasons. They have an affinity to the vehicle. Maybe they have had some beautiful experiences together.

In spanish, almost all cars are in masculine form though “El Auto” while suv’s are feminine “La cameoneta.” Why that is, I do not know, but it has nothing to do with relationships the way I referred to them above."

Cars must be female, as they follow the electrical rules...

Female (plugs) are always hot when energized.

Male (plugs) are always cold except when receiving/accepting power from females.

QED; I rest my case.