ray1970

Car gender?

It is just one of those things I don't understand.

Cars have no gender. I have worked on cars most of my life and have never seen a vagina or a penis unless in the back seat.

So why are they  given a gender over and over in a post??

Try not to take this wrong......

On 6/29/2018 at 12:10 PM, RPM said:

There ya go - the definitive answer: when he sings "When I take HER to the drags SHE really shines" he isn't talking about his girlfriends headlights, and "SHE always turns in the fastest times" isn't about his girlfriend's libido.

All of my cars are women.

Natasha, Geneva, Luna, Sophia, Isabella, Giselle, Ivy, haven't named my 73 Lincoln Mark IV

Ships are considered women and named as well. It is nothing new to name cars.

This might answer your question...." One theory is that the habit carried over from men's habit of calling ships "she" and naming ships after women, most often goddesses in ancient times. While ships are not as common a mode of transportation for civilians any longer, in the American and British armed forces, active ships are still referred to as feminine. Similarly, when men became dependant on motor vehicles, they were an ornament of pride and cared for with great attention by their male owners. Some men had a very chauvinistic view of the female car in that it was just a pile of metal without him at the wheel (as the automobile was introduced, only men could afford to or in many areas legally operate one). Other men adopted the mentality that the automobile must be tended and coddled with a gentle hand and therefore was perceived as being feminine. "

Or this

"This can be for a number of reasons. When they are named, some males think of the vehicle as their significant other. They develop a relationship with the vehicle for any number of reasons. They have an affinity to the vehicle. Maybe they have had some beautiful experiences together.

In spanish, almost all cars are in masculine form though “El Auto” while suv’s are feminine “La cameoneta.” Why that is, I do not know, but it has nothing to do with relationships the way I referred to them above."

Interesting topic, this one!

Allow me to give you a different prospect here, if I may.

Language is a key factor.

In English, objects have no gender. You say (or write) « a » car, « a » ship, « a » wrench, « a » screw driver... Gender only comes into play when the object becomes the subject of a verb, right? The problem is that you can chose if it’s going to be a “he” or a “she”. Or stay a genderless “it”, actually.

In French, for instance, all nouns have been given a gender very long ago. I do not know when or why. I just now that grammatically, a car is a “she” . We say une voiture. A truck is a “he”: un camion. We just have to memorize it as kids, when we learn to speak. As a grown up, you just know that a chair is feminine (une chaise) and an armchair is masculine (un fauteuil)...

Now as far as ships are concerned, in French, the noun “ship” is masculine. We say “un navire” (“un bateau” , for a boat). Now when sailors call a ship by its name, it varies. The Titanic was always called masculine (Le Titanic). L’Hermione was always considered feminine. The gender goes with what they are called after.

I wonder how this goes in Mandarin...

G

2 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Sacre bleu !

Touché! LOL

Just so you know: « Sacrebleu »

“Old familiar French swear word used to describe anger, astonishment or admiration.

Origin of the expression "sacrebleu"

This expression is a softer deformation of "sacredieu" where “bleu” is put in the place of “Dieu” (God), to avoid blasphemy. Indeed, in the middle age, the very act of pronouncing the name of God was not only blasphemous but also punishable by physical punishment. That is why all the French expressions containing the term God have been modified in order to avoid the wrath of Church officials.”

Let's compare

Cars

• Expensive to purchase
  • Need more maintenance with age
  • Often cost you more than they are worth
  • Often leave you stranded beside the road
  • Usually leave you with debt if you get rid of them too soon
  • Will, eventually, stop working altogether if you dont do preventative maintenance.

Women

• Expensive to purchase
  • Need more maintenance with age
  • Often cost you more than they are worth
  • Often leave you stranded beside the road
  • Always leave you with debt if you ever get rid of them
  • Will, eventually, stop working altogether if you dont do preventative maintenance.

So yeah... I think the reasoning there is pretty darn clear.

I always name my cars, and the "she" thing is just what was carried over from the elders of the family, who always referred to the cars....  "she is running great...."    "Just tuned her up"   ...."That bitch really shines when you wax her"

If you ask the new generation, things have changed....   I googled this just for fun..   I saw this article, and was ready to bang my head against the wall.   Thank god I am old....help….

http://thenewswheel.com/womens-equality-day-why-cars-are-referred-to-as-she-and-why-it-has-to-stop/