JamBaLam

Newbie! 1969 Mach 1

Hello all!

I’ve recently inherited my mamma’s 1969 Mach 1, Awesome! (I inherited early, she's fine lol)

It isn’t original, twas a project car for a family friend who then sold it to us so she’s been rebuilt but not 100% properly, there is definitely some ghetto-rigged items and she’s unfortunately been exposed to the elements in Colorado for some time. 

Not sure what engine it has in it, manual transmission, no seat belts, no radio and a little rust.

Overall shes in good shape though! She needs some TLC and maybe a little makeup but she fired up like a champ after I installed a new battery. I didn’t have the courage to take her for a spin without at least a spare tire so I picked one up and am looking forward to a cruise this weekend. 

Please school me up a bit (with links if possible) all about the 69 mustangs. I’m particularly interested in parts compatibly from different years/models as well as understanding what should be under my hood vs what is. 

Me:

29 year old male Engineer in Denver, Colorado. Fairly savvy under the hood but I’m no mechanic.

*in case you're wondering, that's a buddy in the pictures

6598D136-4124-4CAC-B88E-F9EB324B9735.jpeg

4C1C541A-4072-4C86-9A83-02106E36FAAF.jpeg

952CDA9E-71E2-445F-93AB-ECD3C1CCD9EB.jpeg

CD0350E8-DDF5-419C-9A2E-DC6927D0FF47.jpeg

AC472D91-5E9C-4E32-9609-2E5D2B6E6DB3.jpeg

7B2CA4CD-34E8-4DE1-A20B-3A7A10C05F0B.jpeg

Thanks, I agree! She was covered up on and off for some time because the broken antenna sliced through a few tarps and we've had some wicked wind the last few years but no signs of varmints or water damage other than the pre-existing spots from a crap paint job.

Any idea of what engine that is? I feel like a jackass having to ask that of my own vehicle lol

Welcome to the forum.  My guess is it's 351 Cleveland based on what the front of the motor looks like.  I'm not an expert on Clevelands and Ford also made a Modified motor that looks very similar to Clevelands but was primarily for trucks.  I'm sure there are others here that are more familiar with the 351 Clevelands.  It's definitely not a Windsor motor.  Cleveland motors were only available  in 1970-1974 so somebody did an engine swap sometime in it's life.

The base motor in a 1969 Mach 1 was the 351 Windsor 2-barrel.  Then the 351 Windsor 4-barrel and big block motors were optional.  The 5th character on your vin tag is for the motor.  H is a 351 Windsor 2-barrel, M is a 351 Windsor 4-barrel, and I don't have the big block vin codes memorized.  There seems to be those that prefer the 351 Windsor and those that prefer the 351 Cleveland.  I tend to be in the Windsor camp.  Like any motor, they both have there good and bad points. 

Looks like you have a 351C in there. Other variations of the motor, 351M or 400, have a raised rib (due to a taller block) beside the distributor clamp on the driver's side of the engine. I'm partial to clevelands. Both windsors and clevelands are good motors. Cs have some unique design features and require an understanding to build them correctly. If you're interested in keeping the C be sure to check out the 351 Cleveland forums and the Pantera forums. Quite a few knowledgeable people on there and lots of good information. The car looks like a nice starting point.

The engine you have in your car is a 351C. It is not original to your car. They didn't start manufacturing them till 1970. The Boss 302 engines used cleveland style heads on a windsor block. While its possible to build one with a mixture of parts your engine is definitely a 351C by evidence of the water outlet coming out of the top of the block vs front of the intake on windsor engines. On the top corner (upper left when viewing from the exhaust side) of the heads beside the corner of the valve cover you should see a "2" or "4". That tells you if they are 2 barrel or 4 barrel heads. Both intake & exhaust ports are different sizes between the two. There are multiple versions of each (combustion chamber volume & valve sizes). Factory horsepower & torque specs of the engine depends on the year of engine and head combination. Much more info available here on the 351C, http://351c.net/board/

400m engines also have the water outlet on the top of the block so that is not a definitive way to tell if it is a Cleveland, however, from what I can see in the photo, it does look like a Cleveland as opposed to a 400.

there is no list of compatible parts that I am aware of and to make a list of compatible parts would take a year.

there may be a small 3/4 x 1 1/4" long tag riveted to the side of the trans somewhere, (usually near the top front) that should tell us what it is.

you can also get the numbers off of it including the tail shaft numbers and take a photo of the trans. the full size cars use a longer tailshaft than mustangs but they can still be installed with some modification.

you need a real temp gauge with a numerical readout or an infra red gun and you likely need to set the timing curve to the optimum level.

it also may have the wrong t stat in it or a bad t stat stem which can cause it to run hotter than it otherwise would.

you should also see if the vacuum advance works and if it is connected to ported or manifold vac.

clevelands are one of the fussiest engines ever made.

look closely at the tire sidewall and between the tread of the tires for tiny cracks. cracks are bad mmmm k!

under the hood I would fix the wiring mess. that is a fuel pressure regulator on the drivers wheel well. you ma need it and you may not. it depends on the fuel pump and/or carb you have.

you can get a stainless covered upper rad hose if you want to get rid of the rubber  accordion look.

400m engines also have the water outlet on the top of the block so that is not a definitive way to tell if it is a Cleveland, however, from what I can see in the photo, it does look like a Cleveland as opposed to a 400.

Covered that in my first post above, but good verification.

Looks like you have a 351C in there. Other variations of the motor, 351M or 400, have a raised rib (due to a taller block) beside the distributor clamp on the driver's side of the engine.

400M.png