Sign in to follow this  
mark69sportsroof

Correct way to Burp the Radiator/Anti-freeze

Hi Everyone,  I have been reading about all the temperature gauges and issues.  My 73 Mach 1 seems to run half to 3/4 gauge hot when driving 40 mph or higher in mid 70's and up.    Now I have replace the heater core in the 69 as it started leaking inside the cab.  I want to flush and burp both systems.

My question is did Ford outline specific instructions on how to properly burp the system?  

Thanks Mark

Not sure about Fords procedure, but I remove the heater hose from the intake fitting (highest point in the system) and then fill the radiator, this will push the air out as you fill, when coolant comes out the fitting you are good.

One thing that helps prevent trapped air in the cooling system is to have a bleed hole in the thermostat.  Some are made with a bleed like the Motorcraft brand.  If your thermostat does not have a bleed hole, simply drill one in the stationary part of it.  I usually use a 3/32" or 1/8" diameter drill bit.  Doing this I have never struggled to bleed air from a cooling system.

Just throw the radiator over your shoulder, and with a thick cloth, tap the back side of the radiator until you hear the burp. 

Seriously, these old cars are easy to get the air out.  Fill the radiator, start the car, fill the radiator if the water goes below the interior panel, and wait until the water starts moving across the top of the radiator, indicating the thermostat has opened.  Run the heater, just in case.  Fill the radiator to the normal fill level and shut the engine off.  Put on radiator cap.  You're done.

Only the more modern cars have an issue with air pockets above the radiator cap.