EastYorkStang

Horns blow fuses

I would start by unplugging both horns. If the fuse still blows when you press it, there's a short in your harness or horn switch.  If not, check for 12 volts at each connector when you push the horn bar. If that's good, re connect the horns one at a time and see if one or both is a problem.

14 hours ago, Midlife said:

You had a typo; I fixed it for you.

My brother in law had this bumper sticker on a few of his cars …

HORN BROKE, WATCH FOR FINGER

… always got a kick out of that.

As far as troubleshooting  your horns, I think everyone else pretty much covered that.

Doug

Not much help beyond the info already given....

My rim blow died many a year ago....Now I have a solid wood wheel with no working horns at this time.(both horns are new)

I just stab the clutch and give them a 108db rev ck at 6000 to let them know I am their.

Not really good at inspection time but I get by...  

The rim blow really was just a bad idea….But you did not say you have a rim blow...

There is two contacts inside the column under the wheel ,they ride on a flat copper disk on the back of the steering wheel . If the plastic tower the contact is in is brokwn or warped ,i have seen a couple ,the contacts can ride on the wrong spot of the flat copper disk and short 

Replaced the fuse. Disconnected the horns. Fuse still good. Took the first horn and cleaned the mounting pad of rust. Connected it, fuse still good. Cleaned the second one of rust on it's mounting surface, still good. 

There was a metal piece that the drivers side horn mounted to that was in between the horn and the rad support that I removed it as well. No idea what it did.

Thanks for your help. 

2 hours ago, EastYorkStang said:

Replaced the fuse. Disconnected the horns. Fuse still good. Took the first horn and cleaned the mounting pad of rust. Connected it, fuse still good. Cleaned the second one of rust on it's mounting surface, still good. 

There was a metal piece that the drivers side horn mounted to that was in between the horn and the rad support that I removed it as well. No idea what it did.

Thanks for your help. 

Does your car have or did it have factory A/C ??   If so, that metal spacer spaces the horn out so it does not hit the A/C dryer.   Do not discard this spacer, they are not being reproduced and go for decent $$ on e-bay.

Doug