TomM

3pt Belts for 70 FB

Here's a pic of my belt with the angled bracket which results in the buckle being upside down.  I spoke with Julianos this afternoon, they are going to flip the buckle on each side.  What they sent were the belts for floor mounted/bench seats not trans tunnel mounts. I think since the SD belts are made by the same company I'm not going to take issue with the retractors. 

Belt.thumb.JPG.df7aa49c2e008eb9d8ad449f37cf4735.JPG

To add to the mix, I chose the Scott Drake belts due to the similarity with the factory deluxe belt buckles.  However, I really did not like the idea of having the exposed retractor reel on the floor behind the seat.  I ended up fabricating a bracket for the rear bulkhead inside the fiberglass rear quarter trim panels.  From there I had to cut a slot in the rear armrest area for the belt to pass into the interior.  I finished off the slot with a trim piece off of a Corvette.  Looks like a factory stock installation to the  casual observer and no retractor on the floor.

hidden seat bel retractor.jpg

17 minutes ago, JeffTepper said:

To add to the mix, I chose the Scott Drake belts due to the similarity with the factory deluxe belt buckles.  However, I really did not like the idea of having the exposed retractor reel on the floor behind the seat.  I ended up fabricating a bracket for the rear bulkhead inside the fiberglass rear quarter trim panels.  From there I had to cut a slot in the rear armrest area for the belt to pass into the interior.  I finished off the slot with a trim piece off of a Corvette.  Looks like a factory stock installation to the  casual observer and no retractor on the floor.

That is perfect. Only problem for me is I just put my speakers in that panel. Bugger.

IMG_0560.JPG

2 hours ago, JeffTepper said:

This is the cleanest setup that Juliano's has recommended for years with their 3-point kits and the C3 Corvette trim piece works really well as your excellent installation shows!  One look at this setup shows just how "out of place" the floor mounted reels look.  

12 hours ago, JeffTepper said:

Jeff,

Any chance of some pictures of the bracket in situ, I like the look of this set up.

As you mention "looks factory stock".

Docwok:

Unfortunately, I did not take pics during the installation and disassembly now is not an option.  The bracket I fabricated is a different shape and configuration than the one by MTF.   Mine spans the entire length from the back side of the door pillar gusset to the the wheel house flange fastened along the sides and bottom of the bracket.  My thinking is that the force of the retractor locking in a frontal impact will pull the retractor mount straight up as the forward motion of the occupant will transfer the load from the roof mount pivot bracket to the retractor reel below.  Looking at the floor mount for aftermarket retractors, I see a suggested method that uses one or two thicknesses of sheet metal and one large round fender washer.  If the force of the frontal impact is enough to overcome my reel bracket, I would expect that the car would be so deformed that survival would be unlikely.  I am not an engineer so do your own due diligence and risk assessment before attempting a modification such as this one. 

The concealed setup does look nice,  I considered that kit from Julianos it but decided against it to keep things simple - for me.  Today I received the two fixed length trans tunnel mounted belts.  Julianos was able to flip the buckles, so I'm good to go for now.  What I have at this point is something similar to the SD setup but with the drop link.  Julianos was helpful and prompt every step of the way.

On 7/19/2018 at 6:31 PM, mustangstofear said:

That's  almost  the same way we install  them .We have a premade  plate that  we  weld inside the  qtr panel  to mount the  retractsto. 

What length belts do you use with your plates?

What is the point of replacing the factory seat belts with the 3 point belts?. Does it just eliminate having the shoulder strap separate from the lap belt?.  I have all of my original seat belts & I am still trying to decide weather to replace them with the 3 point belts or stay with the factory belts.

I've had my 69 for over 20 years and  have  never used the shoulder harness,  just the lower  one. All our customers  just want  a modern  setup. Keep in mind if you  go with the  newer style it's  best to move the  tunnel  mounting brackets  6 inches  forward.  Otherwise  the hard buckle will  be to far back in the original  location. 

31 minutes ago, mustangstofear said:

I've had my 69 for over 20 years and  have  never used the shoulder harness,  just the lower  one. All our customers  just want  a modern  setup. Keep in mind if you  go with the  newer style it's  best to move the  tunnel  mounting brackets  6 inches  forward.  Otherwise  the hard buckle will  be to far back in the original  location. 

I had to go look to see what you meant: the stiff arm is moved from the door side to the tunnel, and needs to be moved back 6" to match the position it had on the door side. Makes sense and thanks for the tip. I like the hidden reel with lap/shoulder combination and plan to do that per the article from seatbeltstore, but it didn't mention moving the stiff arm back. 

10 hours ago, Mike65 said:

What is the point of replacing the factory seat belts with the 3 point belts?. Does it just eliminate having the shoulder strap separate from the lap belt?.  I have all of my original seat belts & I am still trying to decide weather to replace them with the 3 point belts or stay with the factory belts.

Mike I wanted the 3 point belts as I didn’t like the way the original belt cuts into your neck all the time. Also the fact that the originals have seperate buckles for lap and shoulder. Keeps it simple . I also added a drop link . 

C7E2BF26-F83B-44D0-BA3C-82F06B1251E0.jpeg

14 hours ago, Mike65 said:

For me, I have my original belts too, but they are old and potentially unsafe, and to restore them is more money than it is worth. So I am going with an aftermarket seat belt set, and at the same time stream lining the interior by moving the retractor behind the quarter trim panel.  I don’t like the look of replacement 3 point belts with the way it loops up then down, so I’m doing something that I think looks better.  Safer and better looking... yeah that works for me.