TomM

3pt Belts for 70 FB

Next on my list is putting 3pt belts in the front of my 70FB.  I've read a few older posts on Wesco, Retrobelt and Scott Drake.  I'm leaning towards Wesco and Retrobelt.  Does anyone have any recent experience with either of these manufacturers?  Thanks, Tom

Hi Tom,

I used Retrobelt in the front and rear of my 69. The kits come with plenty of hardware. 

In the front I used the original mounting points but found the sash was to high around the neck. I fitted 12" drop links and this has them sitting at just the right height.

I then found they hung a little loose so took them to a friend's upholstery shop and had 6" taken off them. I'm pretty happy with them.

For the rear I used the same as the front belts and had to make up attach points for the rear sashes. If you are looking at the rear I can send some pictures.

Regards, Mal.

I tried two different 3pt belts in my 69 Mach 1, Scott Drake brand and Retrobelt.  The only issue I had was the retractor for the front seats are larger than original so the front seats would not move all the way back.  I need the seat all the way back for leg room so I ended up returning both and reinstalling the original 2pt seat belts.

Argh, that's what I was afraid of, no clear winner.  I too need all of the leg room I can get.  There's a pretty good older post regarding Wesco but I'll research a little more before I make a purchase.  I guess I can buy one side only (driver's) and evaluate before I buy the second.  Thanks for the input.  Tom

I did come across their stuff on Google.  Unfortunately I didn't recognize the name, didn't see an extension and their web didn't display the mustang link so I discounted.  If anyone has some intel I'd be interested in hearing it.  Thanks, Tom

TomM,

Juliano's is very well recognized in the hot rod circles as opposed to the muscle car set.  I have used quite a few of their products on a number of pre-war rods and have no complaints.  Will be using their 3-pt belts in our Boss project FWIW.

I put 3 point units in my 69. Yes you do require the retract unit to be further back. I just welded in another plate to take the retract unit and also put a drop link in so it didn’t cut into my neck. Works great. I used the Scott Drake belts. 

61814FC0-4AD9-4902-8262-667B2823A0C1.jpeg

F7734067-6E1C-46AC-B056-8EDA794A43FD.jpeg

Put the Scott Drake / Seatbelt Solutions 3-point kits in my '69 Hardtop and used "as supplied" (no drop link) and the stock 3 mounting points.   Buckles will even reach the holsters in the console when fully extended (last pic SD is on left / OE Ford Deluxe on right … even look similar).   Other bonus is the SD buckles do not RATTLE in the console holsters while driving like my OE ones did.

Only mod was I had to ream out the ends on both the retractors and the inner belts to fit the O.E. shoulder mounting bolts.   Both my wife and I have no problem adjusting them for similar fit / comfort compared to our daily driver's.

Interestingly, my '70 Mach 1 sourced seats in my Hardtop do not hit the retractors like Shep69 and other fastback owners have stated.   They are close, but no interference when all the way back (seat is FULL BACK in 1st pic).   This really makes no sense since the FB & HT are supposed to use the same floor & rockers where the CV is different and even the OE Ford HT/FB retractors will not fit a CV.

Doug     

SD 3-PT Seat Full Back.JPG

SD 3-PT Seat Belt Set 2.JPG

SD 3-PT Seat Belt Set 3.JPG

SD 3-PT Seat Belt set 4.JPG

SD 3-PT Buckle v OEM.JPG

Doug, thanks for the pics.  I just checked my seats, they just barely touch the OEM retractor when fully extended, I'd probably have to install a belt to check for interference. 

2 hours ago, TomM said:

Shep, thanks for the pics.  Did the drop link come as an option for the SD kit or was that a custom mod?  Thanks, Tom

Tom the SD belts don’t come with drop links. I purchased them from a  hemi shop as they use them on their 2 doors. I carefully cut the upper mount off and just placed the belt through the drop link. No re stitching required. . They cost around 35 Aussie dollars locally so you should be able to get them easy in the US. Like Doug said the buckle will fit in the console if it’s adjusted to it’s limit. 

CC14DE4F-2C7F-409B-84F6-0E187F056226.jpeg

2 hours ago, Shep69 said:

Tom the SD belts don’t come with drop links. I purchased them from a  hemi shop as they use them on their 2 doors. I carefully cut the upper mount off and just placed the belt through the drop link. No re stitching required. . They cost around 35 Aussie dollars locally so you should be able to get them easy in the US. Like Doug said the buckle will fit in the console if it’s adjusted to it’s limit. 

CC14DE4F-2C7F-409B-84F6-0E187F056226.jpeg

That’s where I got my drop links. With the Retro belts the end of the belt fitted through the drop link with the help of a hammer and block of wood. 

I put Retrobelt in my wife's 65 and was not impressed with the quality or attention to detail. It had fine and coarse bolts, but not nuts (only coarse). I do realize the fine is for replacing the old seatbelts, but the bolt length needed for the brackets were way to long. So I used the fine thread and had to shop for some nuts. Also I was unimpressed with the thickness of the belts, no real instructions. On the hunt for some better alternatives with the 69 when it gets back from paint.

I had a couple of good conversations with the folks at Julianos.  They offer a drop link with their mustang kit (although it's not on their website).  I'm leaning towards starting with their setup since they will ship with the drop link installed.  I'm 6' and my wife is 5' 2" so I'm thinking the drop link could be necessary for my wife.  Other than the drop link the standard kit and install seems to be identical to the Scott Drake units.  If Julianos doesn't work out I'll try the SD.

13 minutes ago, TomM said:

I had a couple of good conversations with the folks at Julianos.  They offer a drop link with their mustang kit (although it's not on their website).  I'm leaning towards starting with their setup since they will ship with the drop link installed.  I'm 6' and my wife is 5' 2" so I'm thinking the drop link could be necessary for my wife.  Other than the drop link the standard kit and install seems to be identical to the Scott Drake units.  If Julianos doesn't work out I'll try the SD.

Hi Tom,. I'm 6'1" and needed the 12" drop link. You will not regret putting one in.

I put the SD's in my 70 Mach 1. They work 'ok'. Their retract strength is quite weak and this sometimes leads to the belt not retracting all the way and getting caught in the door jamp. Chipped my paint because of this. Also mine squeak terribly if the retract reel isn't lined up just right with the belt direction.

2 hours ago, copb8 said:

I put the SD's in my 70 Mach 1. Also mine squeak terribly if the retract reel isn't lined up just right with the belt direction.

My drivers side retractor squeaked quite a bit too when new.   Sprayed WD40 on both sides of the mechanism and has been perfectly quiet ever since.

Doug 

I went with Julianos and installed my belts today.  Really disappointed at this point.  The brackets for the fixed/inside belt are bent in the opposite direction and there is little to no tension in the retractor (similar to copb8's description of the SD).  I sent an email to customer service tonight, I will update what I hear back.  They were excellent to work with when placing the order so I expect more of the same.

The tags on my belts are labelled "Seatbelt Solutions".  Does anyone with the SD's know who actually makes them?  If it's the same vendor then I'll have to live with the lack of tension - I may have to anyway if the SD's exhibit the same performance.

Thanks, Tom

Ok, good to know.  Is the trans tunnel mount bracket flat or bent/angled?  Mine is angled but it angles into the tunnel which puts the buckle upside down.  I tried to reverse the buckle by flipping the webbing and pulling it through but the tolerances were too tight.  Thanks, Tom

4 hours ago, TomM said:

Ok, good to know.  Is the trans tunnel mount bracket flat or bent/angled?  Mine is angled but it angles into the tunnel which puts the buckle upside down.  I tried to reverse the buckle by flipping the webbing and pulling it through but the tolerances were too tight.  Thanks, Tom

Do you have a photo of what you are describing?  If it angles into the tunnel, but the buckle is upside down,  could you swap sides and install them with the bracket angled away from the tunnel? That way, perhaps things may work out better...   Good Luck!!!

23 hours ago, TomM said:

On the Scott Drake Set, the trans tunnel mount bracket is flat:

SD 3-PT Inner Belt Mounting.JPG