TomM

1970 FB A/C Heater Box Control

I have my glovebox out and the controls on the front of the a/c heater box appear to be only partially assembled (front being the interior of the car, immediately behind the glovebox door).  In addition there's a large gap at the box/cowl interface.  I have the Ford service manuals but I don't see the detail I need to understand what's going on.   I've attached a few photos (in poor lighting conditions):

1) There's about a 2" gap between the top of the a/c heater box and the opening in the cowl. Also, there appears to be a screw missing.  Is the gasket in one of the photos supposed to fill that gap or should the screw be used to clamp the box to the cowl?  There doesn't appear to be much free play in the box that would allow the gap to be eliminated. 

510391324_ac3.thumb.JPG.9a82cc4e2cabbfca47977c2655f1f67a.JPG

759173147_ac4.thumb.JPG.598699000902bfb476352d7ae8cec5d4.JPG

2) Another photo shows the front of the box looks like a few pieces are missing or separated or both.  Does anyone have a photo of that area?  This car has factory a/c.

1025210667_ac2.thumb.JPG.1fd6dd7e137dd959bf24451f811b5fa1.JPG

Thanks, Tom

The bottom picture shows where the cable for the heater control should attach.

The heater box should be close to the cowl. About 1/4, With a foam seal in between. Sounds like some of you mounting screws aren't fitted of the brackets have come adrift.

Hope these pictures help.

IMG_0967.JPG

IMG_0977.JPG

After stripping my interior out several years ago, I finally have my A/C Heater box back in. Next is the blower and the ductwork. Lizzard Skin CI was sprayed from the firewall to the rear seat area. Dynamat added from the top of the firewall to the floorboard. The tar and paper sound deadener that I purchased with the ACC carpet is then put down followed by the carpet.  

20180318_175830.jpg

The original firewall pad was repaired a bit and installed followed by Pink insulation under the cowl to replace the yellow stuff that FORD put in, and the disintegrated many years ago. Overkill on the insulation?

20180527_174355.jpg

Edited by 69ShelbyGT350H
Editing error when originally posted

So I purchased this gasket from CJPP, labeled Heater Inlet Gasket.  It's about 2" tall.  Is this the gasket that goes between the heater/ac and cowl?1341546117_ac4.thumb.JPG.0bac38faab7960a341e82147002bedc3.JPG

And as in bigmal's lower photo (can't see it in mine), the screw should then hold the AC box up to the cowl via a bracket. I needed assistance getting the upper right bolt through the firewall (Upper left in the photo)

20180527_174344.jpg

I used the repro thin gasket on the inside of the firewall (I think they meant for it to be on the outside) and then the original gasket on the outside followed by the metal plates.

20180527_191415.jpg

I put the original hard rubber gaskets in a pot of boiling water to soften them up them enough to get around the new heater and A/C hoses. They did crack a little more than they were but at least they were still usable.

21 hours ago, TomM said:

So I purchased this gasket from CJPP, labeled Heater Inlet Gasket.  It's about 2" tall.  Is this the gasket that goes between the heater/ac and cowl?1341546117_ac4.thumb.JPG.0bac38faab7960a341e82147002bedc3.JPG

That's what mine looks like, non-ac.