Sign in to follow this  
Brian Conway

Caster Issue ?

Caster settings should not make the car drift one way or another.  Toe and Camber can.  Barnett's comments are right on target.  With a $50 tool, you can do your own alignment as well. 

one alignment spec does not fit all applications. also, if you set both sides to exactly the same spec, the car will favor turning slightly to the right on crowned roads. I was paying around $65.00 for alignments a few years back so it wasn't worth getting my hands dirty and dealing with the hassle and doing them myself.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Ditto on Midlife's post. Huskinhano over on the Mustang Steve site has a great write up on home DIY alignments. After reading his story I did my own, I won't pay for another alignment.

http://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=61324

I don't see any pics showing up on the VMF site, just interested to see what he did.

14 hours ago, Midlife said:

Caster settings should not make the car drift one way or another.  Toe and Camber can.  Barnett's comments are right on target.  With a $50 tool, you can do your own alignment as well. 

Caster actually does contribute to the car drifting to one side or the other.  It also contributes to stability.  Typically on cars of this era, the passenger side will need about 1/4 to 1/2 degree more positive caster than the drivers side to compensate for the crown in the road and keep the car going straight.

If you cannot get it to an alignment shop soon and want to tinker with it on your own, adjust the passenger side (rt side) strut rod to shorten it and pull the lower ball joint forward a little.  This will move the caster for that wheel in a in a positive direction.  You can also lengthen the strut rod on the drivers side to move the caster for that wheel in a negative direction.  If you get it going straight but it feels a little unstable, like it wants to wander, then increasing caster on both sides (shorten the strut rods) can reduce that affect.

Basically, as I remember:  Positive Caster will cause the front of the wheel to turn inward.  Negative Caster will cause the front of the wheel to turn outward.  So you can see with a slight side to side caster split,  that the right wheel having a little more positive caster will compensate for the crown in the road to keep the car going straight.

Me thinks Brian has a toe alignment issue. I believe Brian's caster not being set as it was before the new strut rod replacement, has resulted in toe out of the r/f tire which makes his car now pull to the right. I'd bet that if he fixed the toe by adjusting both the upper and lower and keeping the caster the same as now, it wouldn't pull. Imo, assuming his prior alignment was good, this would not be the way to align it, just showing it could be done. I would adjust the caster via the strut rod until the toe was set.

Thanks for the interest guys.  Yes caster does affect drifting as well as centering.  Off to my favorite alignment shop this AM and all's right with the world now.  The new strut rod bushings had more of an effect on the alignment than I would have guessed.   New spec's are the same as the old 2011 spec's.  In the notation the shop owner confused Left with Right drift.  In San Diego this was a $95.00 fix.  Brian

69 Alignment Specs 2018 - Copy.jpg

My big block car has .

Caster 2.5 positive caster

Camber .5 degrees negative

Toe in 1/16

My suspension is fairly firm and handles well and these settings work for me.