Sign in to follow this  
MAC390

C6 SHIFTING

Guys, technical question.

On my C6 the 2 to 3 shift does not feel right. Put a new modulator in which is adjustable , not much difference.

From my time back at the Ford dealership in the old days where i did my apprenticeship , the governor has some control of 3rd gear shift.

I am thinking that the governor is sticking , after all the car has been sitting for over 3 years.

Any help appreciated.

If that's all that doesn't feel right, I'd say not. I've grown very fond of Sonnax's replacement "Boost valve kits" that help raise line pressure in older/high mileage transmissions. You want to be sure if you have a '76 and earlier unit or not and also make sure don't get the diesel version. They also sell an "elevated pressure regulator" spring that you might like. Both are drop-ins IIRC, requiring you only drop the pan to install. They also sell a pressure regulator valve that will tone up your 2-3 shift for sure but it requires you buy an ungodly high priced ream kit to install and it is no way worth it unless you know somebody who might already have the tools.

I suspect Superior or somebody may have that spring and valve included in one of their shift "improver" kits which would probably be easier to source and be a little easier on the wallet but I haven't looked into those myself.

The trans has been rebuilt and is original to the car , this was an ex drag car and has about a 2000+ stall converter, with the pan off the oil was very clean not burnt.

No goodies in the pan, just not getting 3rd gear, 1- 2 shift nice , picks up reverse and drive real easy. Pita to adjust the modulator valve so i try some more adjustments next week end.

Just like the engine which is very modified i have no idea what's inside, the car is very strong.

I bought a rebuild manual by George Reid C4 and C6, mainly because I want to keep my car as original as possible when it goes through the testing grounds and once registered it's out with the auto an in with my 5 speed. He mentions in the trouble shooting section with early or late shifting between 2 to 3, that it can be the vacuum modulator or rod malfunction, also valve body malfunction or governor malfunction or loose tubes on the governor distributor. Makes no sense to me but maybe to you. I have a damaged parking pawl on my C4 and that why I bought the book.