MN69Grande

Next Generation Mustang Lovers

I've been making a solid attempt to get my girls interested in the hobby.  I haven't been able to get them to pick up an actual wrench yet, they play with toy tools all the time, and seem to be willing to do wood working.  I think they are afraid of oil.  Anyway I drag them to shows many times a year.  My oldest goes happily the youngest requires the promise of Ice Cream.  So two weeks ago we went to the all Ford show in at Apple Ford in Shakopee, MN and for the first time I heard my oldest exclaim 'COOOOL' when a car pulled in. 

This made me happy that there was finally a classic car that tickled her fancy.  And it was a Mustang, just a 72.  Not my favorite year, but hey at least she likes a classic and it wasn't a Mustang II (I kid I kid).  Last year at State Fair Grounds in St. Paul I took them to the Street Machine Nationals, and too my surprise could not get enough auto cross.  I thought we would watch for 1/2 hour and spent 2 and 1/2 watching instead.  Also they love the original Herbie movies and Pixar Cars.  So I have hope I might create a couple of enthusiasts.  

Any idea's for good ways to get kids involved and I'm all ears?  Any surprising cars anyone's kids/grand kids found exciting?  I would never have guessed my kid would like a 72 Mustang she used to love any convertible when she was like 3.

On 6/5/2018 at 5:02 PM, bigmal said:

I'm following this intently. My boy is 15 and has no interest in cars what so ever. Tried everything. Considering a DNA test.

For some strange reason the millennials consider cars to be appliances. My 18 year old grandson is a good example. His dad bought him a car and it sat for 6 months waiting for him to get a job to support it. He didn't know how to open the hood or where to put the oil and water. Much, much different than my generation. I blame it on his mother diluting the hot rod gene.

I see it too.  Extremely few of today's young generation have any interest in cars.  Cars are viewed only as a utility to get them from one place to another.  I honestly don't know why.  I've been around cars since I was about 5 years old.  So I cannot understand why somebody would not have an interest in them. 

Not all of them Jim, but it has been reduced greatly. At the high school where I sub, there are quite a few gear heads who are quite knowledgeable. They constantly ask about my 69 Mustang and 93 BMW 525, and knew a lot about both cars. 

I did make a mistake  one day by parking in the student lot to save time getting to class. In my row alone I counted 5 $100k cars. That's pretty wise of the parents. 

There is some hope.  There are lot younger people in Minnesota getting into rally's of all sorts.  https://www.kannonballfun.com/ Looks like fun.  The cars may not be classics but at least their motor heads.  Also I came across the video recently which is the second I've seen by millennials working on 69s.  Also a couple years ago I sold an old Eddie Carb and the guy was putting it on an early 80s Buick Regal.   Not my favorite model of car, but it is a cheap, rear wheel drive, and has a V8.  The kids were stoked to be working on it. 

I guess I'm lucky, my kid and most of his friends are into cars big time. My son grew up playing with hot wheels, building models, etc., But he was also into sports, playing basketball, football, and golf in high school. We did a complete nut and bolt resto on a '65 fastback that had been sitting in my garage for 10 yrs, his idea, starting when he was 13. Its now his car. He currently has 2 semesters of college left and will have his BA. His friends aren't so much into old cars, more lifted trucks, but hey, at least they are gearheads!  I really don't think you can force your kids to like cars, they either like them or they don't. Attached is a pic of him with his car a few years ago, on our way to the Woodward Dream Cruise,

IMG_1380.JPG

1 hour ago, skidmarky said:

I guess I'm lucky, my kid and most of his friends are into cars big time. My son grew up playing with hot wheels, building models, etc., But he was also into sports, playing basketball, football, and golf in high school. We did a complete nut and bolt resto on a '65 fastback that had been sitting in my garage for 10 yrs, his idea, starting when he was 13. Its now his car. He currently has 2 semesters of college left and will have his BA. His friends aren't so much into old cars, more lifted trucks, but hey, at least they are gearheads!  I really don't think you can force your kids to like cars, they either like them or they don't. Attached is a pic of him with his car a few years ago, on our way to the Woodward Dream Cruise,

IMG_1380.JPG

good looking kid and car- nice

28 minutes ago, Mach1 Driver said:

good looking kid and car- nice

+1 one on the pic.  Looks like a happy kid and great looking car.  I would love to take my kids to Woodward they need to get a little older.  Also hope to do a Route 66 cruise, not sure if we would do it on our own or one of the organized ones.