69R-CODE

Toploader will not come out

Hello all,

I have been trying the last 2 days to remove my big input big output toploader from my car and it will not come out.

I have removed all the bolts, cross member, linkage, clutch fork, ect...

It will not move at all. I only have about 1/4" of space between the bellhousing and toploader. 

I am afriad that it has seized to the pilot bushing or I had misalignment issues when installing it and the clutch disk splines / input shaft is binding.

I have read about trying to remove it with pry bars, or jack nuts /screws, or even just trying to get at the pressure plate bolts and remove it that way.

I have a old school lakewood blow proof bellhousing and there is only access through the small clutch fork hole.

What would you all do to try and remove it. (Please dont say pull the engine) It is a 428CJ with long tube headers. 

here's one option.

if the engine is hanging free, jack up the back of the engine around 1 1/2" to support it then grab the tail shaft of the trans and see if you can move it up at all. then look at the gap between the trans and bell housing to see if there is more gap on the top than on the bottom .if there is, jack up the trans from just rear of center if possible until the gap is even then use a pry long bar or crow bar between the bell housing and the trans.

I bet it is just binding. Maybe I have bad luck, but every transmission I've removed has binded after it backs off a little. You did take the transmission out of gear right? If you can fit some kind of straps in between the block and bellhousing for pulling power they are nice because at least you know you won't break or dent anything with straps and hand-power...unless the transmission flies off onto you! This worked for me with a jack under transmission with a friend gently rocking the trans while I pulled straps. 

Sorry I am just getting back to the forum. I still have had no luck getting it out. This car is a takeover project. The car was almost complete when I got it.

I put the motor and trans in the car two years ago. I started it up and broke the rebuilt engine in but never connect the drive shaft to move it around. A few weeks later and 

we sold our house and moved. The car sat in storage. I started back to working on it a few weeks ago. The car would not go into gear. It would grind even with the clutch press in.

The toploader is a brand new one from David Kee's. So, I figured I just put something together incorrectly. My plan was to take the trans back out and see what was happening.. 

Now I cant get it off the bellhousing. 

I have cut some pieces of all thread and welded nuts to one end. I am hoping I can back the transmission off that way but I am not very optimistic.