Planning my exhaust system for my 1970 convertible.  

Have a Windsor Base stroker with Hedmann shorty headers and a C6 automatic.  At the back have a TCP panhard bar suspension with sway bar.   

I am looking for some pictures, experience, lessons learned for routing the exhaust above the square metal reinforcement plate that is used on the convertibles.   I have seen factory exhaust pipes run above that plate, parallel to the driveshaft.  

I want to run 2-1/2 inch pipes, and will use custom mufflers.  

I plan to run over the rear axle and out through the valence.

i'm not sure what you are looking for but you can run 2 1/2" above the plate but you need a REALLY good exhaust guy to make it. i would run a cross over tube also. in the worst case you might need to space the plate downward around 5/16".

I have 3 inch and don't have an issue. I HAD flowmaster 40s and while they sounded good, on long hauls at highway speeds you were almost deaf. I switched to magnaflow and it helped but still pretty loud. I'm going to be swapping my 351 into my fastback from my vert so my exhaust will go with it. When I put in the new motor in the vert thats when I'll probably go with something a little quieter 

Yeah I’m tired of that classic Flowmaster drone myself. But I bought a set of Flowmaster Supet HP-2 Mufflers, and they are a totally different design. I had them on the engine test stand and they sounded great so I’m gonna put it in my car

12 hours ago, bryonbush said:

I have 3 inch and don't have an issue. 

You ran 3" pipes above the reinforcement plate? I have 2-1/4" and it was a very tight fit. As Barnett said, 2-1/2" would require very good exhaust work, I can't imagine 3".

1 hour ago, 69RavenConv said:

You ran 3" pipes above the reinforcement plate? I have 2-1/4" and it was a very tight fit. As Barnett said, 2-1/2" would require very good exhaust work, I can't imagine 3".

yup. the shop who did it did a very good job. one thing I don't like though is how they connected the headers to the pipe, they hang quite a bit and these are on Dougs Try-Y's. You would think for them pulling the collector out away from the trans a smidge, running it close together and through the brace, then nice and tight over the exhaust, they would've don't a little better at the collectors.. oh well, it works and I aint changing it. 

forgot to add... my trans tunnel gets pretty hot in the summers with the pipes so tightly in there. Vick: I would recommend putting some type of heat shield in there if you do it. I was actually thinking of taking some of the heat shield off a totaled ford fusion. I was under my wifes car changing the oil and noticed they have a pretty good run of that padded aluminum heat shielding stuff that would probably work pretty well. 

blockquote widget

4 hours ago, 427Stang said:

I modified the plate to give more room. 3" all the way out

Tell us what we're looking at here: motor (351 stroked to 427?), trans, headers, mufflers??, are those cutouts or anti-drone pipes?, and a 4 link in the way just to complicate things. Whose rotis are you using to hold all that weight?

19 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

blockquote widget

Tell us what we're looking at here: motor (351 stroked to 427?), trans, headers, mufflers??, are those cutouts or anti-drone pipes?, and a 4 link in the way just to complicate things. Whose rotis are you using to hold all that weight?

I made my own rotisserie. Its a 427 stroked to 482. Triangulated 4-bar rear suspension. Richmond trans, I fabbed the headers and exhaust.

IMG_3129.jpg

IMG_3448.JPG

IMG_3006.JPG

IMG_4244.jpg