ashleesmach1

Opentracker's Roller Idler Arm

Hi fellas, I want to purchase the Opentracker's roller idler arm. However, I have a concern. The stock idler arm springs the steering wheel back after you turn. Does the roller idler arm do that? I have a 1969 Mach1 351W auto with power steering. Thanks! I will make my decision after I have read your responses. Thanks! 

I have the open tracker roller idler and it is smooth as silk.   My return to center issues in the past have been associated with not having the proper caster.   If your idler arm is binding for some reason, you may have other issues.  I would check your alignment and for any binding issues before you start buying parts.  

22 minutes ago, ashleesmach1 said:

So your saying the the stock idler plays no part in that? thanks!

it absolutely does have an affect on return to center and many people don't like that it returns to center noticeably less with the open tracker arm if your steering specs are stock.

Yes caster helps return to center, no doubt about it. When I had a manual steering setup with the roller idler and about 4 degrees of caster the return to center was excellent, VERY hard to steer at low speed though with 235/45/17's and good tires. One day I may go back to manual steering and would definitely try 3 degrees of caster to see if that's easier to steer.

I have a Borgeson power steering set up with about 3 1/2° caster on my 68 works pretty well 

I’m actually going to go back to her larger steering wheel to help with my return to Center at slow speed’s. I went down to 13 inch, it’s too small 

On my 70 build, I went with Global West +3 upper control arms, they have a 3° offset built-in that should help a lot 

Barnett.....totally correct.  I don't like the feel of the smaller wheel, especially at low speed, like when pulling out of a parking spot.   

I am hoping that on my'70 that I can dial in more caster with the modified UCAs and it fix this issue.  We will see.