Mike65

What to use to clean the front windshield channel?.

What does everyone think would be the best cleaner to use to clean the rest of the sealer that I can not scrape off the body where the front windshield will sit?. 

If they sealed it with urethane windshield mounting adhesive, I know of no cleaners or solvents that will touch it...

In the body shop, we just keep at it with blades and scrapers until we get down to metal, then if re-installing a windshield with urethane, we use a special primer that allows the urethane to bond directly to metal.

it it is not urethane, simple paint thinner with lots of paper towels will eventually remove it. both acetone and lacquer thinner dry much more quickly and are much harsher on the paint. if it has never been removed before, it is not urethane.

gas fumes are a bit more unhealthy and unpleasant to smell.

3 hours ago, barnett468 said:

it it is not urethane, simple paint thinner with lots of paper towels will eventually remove it. both acetone and lacquer thinner dry much more quickly and are much harsher on the paint. if it has never been removed before, it is not urethane.

gas fumes are a bit more unhealthy and unpleasant to smell.

Sorry ,had a burito for lunch

Ahhh...but if you use racing fuel (110 octane), the smell will be much better!

I used gasoline dipped in a rag to remove aftermarket undercoating on my car, along with a small flat screwdriver to get into nooks and crannies.  Of all of the solvents available, gasoline is the cheapest and very effective.  Just work in a reasonably well-ventilated area and keep the gas in a metal oil catch pan outside. 

I have a gasket scraper which I have been using to get it almost to a clean body I was asking about the remainder that will not come off with the scraper, so Ridge Runners idea of the wire wheel should work. Thanks Ridge. barnett I know that I can not remove what is left there with a solvent.

1 hour ago, Mike65 said:

I have a gasket scraper which I have been using to get it almost to a clean body I was asking about the remainder that will not come off with the scraper, so Ridge Runners idea of the wire wheel should work. Thanks Ridge. barnett I know that I can not remove what is left there with a solvent.

post a photo of your gasket scraper. i can get most if that off with my gasket scraper but may need to use a screw driver for some of it.

you will NOT get the thick pieces off with any type of solvent or gas unless you pour it on and lite it on fire.

Looks  like you're  taking  it down to bare steel ? In the auto glass  world It's all done with short and long knives that use utility  blades. Once you have it  cleaned be sure to use some Epoxy  primer, not automotive pinchweld,  because  it's not designed for  bare metal. 

21 hours ago, barnett468 said:

post a photo of your gasket scraper. i can get most if that off with my gasket scraper but may need to use a screw driver for some of it.

you will NOT get the thick pieces off with any type of solvent or gas unless you pour it on and lite it on fire.

58080-100-1397.jpg

As long as there is no paint around you are worried about getting ruined, after using a scraper, and a wire brush where I could, I used a scotchbrite pad soaked in lacquer thinner ("cleanup thinner" at your local paint store).  As I go I have a roll of paper towels to do the final wipe down, once I get the stuff off.  A gallon of thinner will go a long ways and is about $10.  Scotchbrite with this solvent is "super effective" on just about anything you put it on.  The scratching effects of the pad combined with the thinner are an amazing pair.  It's messy, and make sure there is no good paint nearby, cause it will ruin just about any applied paint.  Good luck finding any gloves that will protect your hands from this. thick PVC gloves are probably best.

You could use a propane fired handheld torch (like you use for copper plumbing) to preheat the material and scrape it out.   Welding gloves and nearby fire extinguisher recommended.....

15 hours ago, Vicfreg said:

You could use a propane fired handheld torch (like you use for copper plumbing) to preheat the material and scrape it out.   Welding gloves and nearby fire extinguisher recommended.....

Thanks Vic, that is what I used to soften the sealer to get the windshield out the the majority of the rest of the sealer off the body.