EastYorkStang

Running a battery cable from the rear

I'll post pics later as I'm headed to Mothers Day festivities, but you can check out my build pics in the mean time. My battery is in the right rear, the cable runs up and over the rear wheelhouse, thru the lower lock pillar, on the recess on the top edge channel of the rocker, up thru the hinge pillar, thru a drilled hole in the cowl behind the heater box, under the top flat edge of the inner fender panel, then down to an area below the solenoid where I drilled another hole into the engine bay, then up to the solenoid.

17 hours ago, EastYorkStang said:

Got it. Except where it heads outside under the fender. Is that heater area accessible with the door and fender on ? My car is completely together. 

Thanks ! 

Yes, it's accessible. You'll need to remove the rear slash shield to access the cowl front. Pulling the wire with the heater box installed is a bear, as I did it that way, but it's doable. 

16 hours ago, Midlife said:

Bob: why is the battery cable connected to the starter side of the solenoid?

Doing it that way is a little known secret to provide more cranking amps. Truth be told, "someone" did that when I originally ran the cable. I corrected it soon after, and well before doing any other wiring. Good eyes, and thanks for noticing. 

See...

Screenshot_20180514-100104.thumb.png.c76b5c8d7a514b1a0182255e7dde7cf4.png

I have a pretty well documented story of my trunk mounted battery install, including wiring and grounding block diagrams, on my thread in the Project fourm "1970 Convertible Restoration"

So i have the cable running up to the A pillar. Just inside the pillar about 4-5 inches in is a metal wall blocking further progress. After talking with others I found I maybe the only one with this piece. My car has A/C if that helps.

This "wall" has no holes and its in a spot where I cant drill it.

Ran the cable up through the A-pillar. Out under the dash into the firewall. Through the wheel well into the hole left from my old vacuum canister. 

Bolting the dash back together now. 

Thanks for for all the help !!!

13 hours ago, RPM said:

Darryl, I don't have any in progress pics of mine, but it's run the same as Vic's where it exits the first openScreenshot_20180605-140957.thumb.png.8d6a93783f09565b46f9b26c014bdb7e.pnging. 

Just to add a little. The interior perimeter of those cut outs in the body need to be insulated  away as none of the wiring can possibly rub against an edge.