AJV69

Brakes extremely sensitive

The power brakes on my 69 Mach 1 auto are overly sensitive and brake very easily and quickly. Just finishing up resto work and installed a rebuilt Midland booster, new brake lines, new master cylinder, and cleaned up and reused proportioning valve that was on car. Any adjustments that I am missing?

Most overlooked adjustment is booster rod to master cylinder plunger depth. From your post I would expect to find it is too long and making brakes touchy.

I would also check to insure that they are fully releasing after pressing the brake petal, My guess is they are dragging slightly.

The only time I have seen an over sensitive brake pedal was when something was wrong with the brake booster.  First, is it the correct booster?  1969 was the year Ford switched from Midland to Bendix.  Some early 1969's still got the Midland booster.  They do interchange without any modifications.  From what I understand, the Midland booster provides greater power assist but was unreliable compared to the Bendix booster.

*** Before you condemn the booster, follow Mach1Rider's and Jett 445's suggestion and make certain everything is correct. 

2 hours ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

The only time I have seen an over sensitive brake pedal was when something was wrong with the brake booster.  First, is it the correct booster?  1969 was the year Ford switched from Midland to Bendix.  Some early 1969's still got the Midland booster.  They do interchange without any modifications.  From what I understand, the Midland booster provides greater power assist but was unreliable compared to the Bendix booster.

*** Before you condemn the booster, follow Mach1Rider's and Jett 445's suggestion and make certain everything is correct. 

I agree. I would have to say this would be my first area to look into. Here is a great video talking about Cougar/Mustang brake boosters - 

Does the car tend to nosedive when you apply the brakes?  I had a sensitive brake issue before and it turned out to be a leak in the rear brake line, causing only the front brakes to work.