Her69fastback

Printed circuit board

Ok,  sorry hopefully last question. The 14+ ohms is in place with the nuts tight against the cardboard strip as shown.  Or is the 14+ ohms on the stud when the nuts are tight against the CB and holding the gauge in place?

Once the ground side nut it tight against the CB the measurement on the stud drops to 2 ohms to ground.   The nut has to be in place against the CB to make the contact between the gauge and the CB.  

Is it only the input side that should have the 14+ ohms if properly installed?

Seems like elementary, but I have no photos of when this was taken apart.  thanks for being patient.    

Here's the deal: There's 14 ohms resistance between the two posts.  If any post touches the metal backing, one post will have about 1 ohm resistance and the other will have about 14 ohms resistance to ground.  If both touch, each post will have about 1 ohm resistance.  If neither post touches, each should have 10kohms + to ground but still 14 ohms to each other. 

I understand the nut has to be there to tighten down the gauge itself, but there needs to be insulating material between the nut and the metal backing; otherwise it will be the same as one post touching the case.

Midlife,  thanks for clarifying.  Elementary question on my part, but after trying a few things the readings I was getting were a bit confusing.  

I wish I would have seen your website before I put this thing together.  I like the looks of you cluster harness vs the CB design.  I would have gone in that direction.

I do appreciate your time answering these questions.