lanky

Radiator Bracket Dimensions

Can anyone give me the dimensions in the picture? I have an aftermarket radiator and I am wondering if a stock bracket will work with it (I never had this style bracket with my car)

radiatorbracket.jpg

I replaced my factory 24" radiator with an aluminum one and found that the rubber insert was going to to have to be totally removed for the bracket to fit over the top of the radiator. Figuring I am going to have to cut and lengthen it (your B dimension), I purchased a cheap repro from NPD to cut up. How surprised I was when it arrived, and its "B" dimension is larger than my factory stock one, for a 24" 351w with all the options. I then took my repro rubber insert and using a box/razor knife, thinned the rubber down so it fits in the bracket and over the radiator. Yes, be careful, I did need 2 band-aids after that process.

In the below photo, these are the repro parts, the factory rubber would have little rubber dots that stick out of the holes on top of the "B" section. This is not bolted down so it is still up off the radiator. Ford also added a pair of hex headed screws in the bracket that go into holes in the front radiator support to help hold it down. You can see the holes in the repro bracket and the one hole under the bracket in front of the radiator cap. The two bolts at the front alone were not doing a good enough job.

20180415_131050.jpg

I'll have to get back to you with all the dimensions and the part# from NPD if you are interested.

Update on the NPD Part:

8A193-2BBRACKET, Upper radiator Saddle, repro, fits 24 inch radiator, improved design, better stamping, more correct appearance with stamped tabs in the support like the original part, C9ZZ-8A193-B, D0ZZ-8A193-A$29.95
Appears to be a Scott Drake part

Edited by 69ShelbyGT350H
Bad formatting of NPD part link

It looks like you cut off the inside ends of the bracket, where it "hugs" inside of radiator... is that correct? I was thinking maybe I could bend that part of the bracket straight, and then rebend it so that it effectively leaves more room in that area. I wouldn't mind having to cut up some scrap rubber, if the bracket fits correctly the rubber should stay put under pressure. I bet the factory rubbers won't work with the thicker radiator in my case. I would be curious to know your "B" dimension if you have a chance, since you said it was wider than the factory bracket.

10 hours ago, lanky said:

It looks like you cut off the inside ends of the bracket, where it "hugs" inside of radiator... is that correct? I was thinking maybe I could bend that part of the bracket straight, and then rebend it so that it effectively leaves more room in that area. I wouldn't mind having to cut up some scrap rubber, if the bracket fits correctly the rubber should stay put under pressure. I bet the factory rubbers won't work with the thicker radiator in my case. I would be curious to know your "B" dimension if you have a chance, since you said it was wider than the factory bracket.

Not sure what you are referring to when you say it looks like I "cut off the inside ends of the bracket". No metal has been cut on the replacement bracket, though I thought I was going to cut it to make it fit. I put the original away for safe keeping. Only the rubber insert was trimmed. Unfortunately, I did not see your response until 10 hours after you posted, so I'll pull the NPD bracket off the car and take more photos with measurements of it and the radiator for you tomorrow.