Sign in to follow this  
Jack Wheeler

Need Bushing - Wiper Arm Linkage to Motor

I am restoring a 1969 Mach1.  The windshield wiper linkage arm is supposed to have a bushing in the end of the arm, where it attached to the wiper motor.  See attached picture of my linkage arm.  The bushing goes in the hole in the end of the linkage arm.  Obviously, someone has removed the bushing (I'm not sure how they did this), and therefore, I am looking for this bushing.  Does anyone have this bushing for sale, or if not, an entire linkage arm going from the wiper motor to the rest of the wiper arm linkage?  Thank you.

Jack Wheeler

Wiper Motor Arm & Linkage.JPG

Wiper Linkage - Bottom, Close-up.JPG

Wiper Linkage - Motor End, Top.JPG

A couple of years ago when I went thru mine I was only able to find a complete wiper assembly, or used to fix the worn out bushings. I made new bushings from brass.

IMG_20150913_211908.thumb.jpg.ca05d924ffd110c4d1271a1fd8d2fc91.jpgIMG_20150913_211505.thumb.jpg.c07f6f6dbb7999ad46cd59557791a695.jpg

Looks like RPM used two standard bushings, cut the bigger one in half and slid over the small one. If you can't find that bushing, you can get standard bushings from a hardware store; Tractor Supply in my area has decent selection of bushings. 

Hey Jack, you'll get no info without you posting pics of your car and tell us where you live :) Kidding. Sort of...

The problem making the bushings off site of your car, is that it's a fine line between a snug fit where the bushing won't slip and a loose fit. I made several that almost fit before I got two that worked. 

Those tabs which hold the bushing break easily, which forced me to put a small weld to hold it. 

I'm at a grand child event for a while, but can call you later, depending on your time zone. Let me know how late I can call. 

Here's to RPM.  Thanks Bob.  I'm from Central North Carolina.  I am the 3rd owner of this car, which was a very competitive drag race car from new (held some world records).  The original owner retired in 1983 and sold the car.  It has been stored in a barn ever since.  So, the car came to me all apart, but with a very solid body, except where they had butchered up the inner body in order to move the entire rear axle forward about 4"  I've included a picture, as it sat when I bought it.  Engine and transmission were with it, but out of the car.  Thanks to all who have responded to my requests for help.

Jack

As Purchased - RF - Feb 18.JPG

As Purchased - RR - Feb 18.JPG

That's good to hear you found someone close by who would do the work for you. A lot of shops out here won't do small one off jobs. I still constantly use my small 9" x 36" Craftsman lathe I picked up years ago for $300, and my brother's manual mill which I've been "storing" for around 10 years. They solve all kinds of problems and can be had for not too much cash. Good luck on your 69 Jack.