Mike65

Headers for my 5.0 build.

I have the 5.0 that is going into my 69 Coupe at a local engine builder & he is rebuilding the short block & then is going to install my M-6049-X302B cyl heads &  M-6250-B303 cam &  Edelbrock Performer RPM intake. The car has a world class T-5 & 3.50 rear gears w/trac loc, & will be used as a weekend cruiser. I am now starting to give some thought as to which headers I want to use. I am thinking about going with either the JBA 1650SJT, or the Hedman 88408. I am trying to make this as easy as possible for me to do in my driveway since I can get a "H" pipe for the JBA's & the Hedman's & the get the stock 2 1/4" intermediate & tail pipes & glass packs to complete the exhaust. Is there a better header for my set up that will not break the bank. Ideas, suggestions?. 

If you are spending the coin on headers, why cork your exhaust with the factory system? Just run manifolds if you are not going to have a good flowing exhaust. Otherwise you're getting all the increased volume with little performance benefit.

Mike, I used Patriot ceramic coated Tri-Y headers on my 1968.  I am using Hedmann on my 1970.  I am very happy with the quality of both.

Lanky does make a point.   I do have a set of 351W factory exhaust manifolds.  When paired with the 302, they make a really good stock solution for headers.   If you are interested in them, IM me.   They were media blasted and preserved in high heat paint.   

Another inexpensive alternative is to try and use factory 5.0 headers.  They are stainless and are a step above cast iron manifolds.  I had trouble fitting them in my '68 due to interference with my Borgeson steering box.   Not sure how they might fit on a '69.   You can find them in junkyards....

2 1/4" with straight thru mufflers and a cross over tube is plenty big enough for your engine and will not choke it at all.

every exhaust system i have installed has had to  be bent a little, so don't plan on getting away without having to go to a muffler shop fot some fine tuning of the bends etc.

Hey Mike

I have hedman shorties and they work great.  I think you'll be fine with 2 1/4 however you might want to look at the flowmaster 2.5 kit.  https://www.flowmastermufflers.com/exhaust-sytems/17282-1967-1970-ford-mustang-american-thunder-header-back-exhaust-system/?make=54&year1=1969&model=688&submodel=&engine=5310&drivetype=&category=&kw=

I thought about buying it prior to going custom.  You might have to call to see what headers it fits though.

I'm running 2.5 with my 347 with gt40x heads and I can feel the difference over 2 inch.

MN69Grande, after doing some research/searching  I found a guy who sells on E Bay custom made 2.5" H pipes, & 2.5" mid pipes to mate up to the Hedman 88408 headers that would fit my 5.0, & Jegs sells 2.5" tail pipes made by Flowmaster.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/361897019015

https://www.ebay.com/itm/361587030669

https://www.jegs.com/i/Flowmaster/389/15807/10002/-1

I agree that 2.25" is adequate, but at least on my car the crush bends were pretty bad! So when you said factory system, I immediately thought of the bends that my factory system had and imagined how poorly the exhaust flows from said bends. But yes 2.25" is plenty if its a decent system.