bigmal

Mounting Rear Speakers in a 69 Fastback

I have just ordered a Retro Sound Long Beach radio and will need to fit rear speakers. Mine is a 69 Mach 1 with fold down seat.

Looking to see what others have done for this.

Thanks in advance.

I removed and saved the original trap door from mine and installed one of those plastic repro trap doors that have the pods for two 6X9 speakers.  I installed two Blaupunkt 6x9 speakers in it.  Being plastic it's not as nice as the original trap door.  But, it still looks nice and neat and is much better than cutting up an original trap door.

my suggestion is dont mess with the trap door. it rattles and looks bad.

Ive used an infinity bass-link mounted in the trunk off to the side. this unit is discontinued, but there are other similar units out there. 

for the speakers i put them in the quarter side panels in molded housings.

Did them on the front doors too, but have since regretted that, your leg will sit against it.

In short, it sounds awesome, especially with Metallica playing !

basslink.jpg

IMG_2180.jpg

IMG_1889.jpg

My trap door doesn't rattle.  It latches down very snug.  There are adjustments for the latch.  I went that way because I don't like cutting any existing OEM panels and don't like the look of speakers installed in the rear quarter panels.

I also replaced my fresh air pods in the front with speakers. I did a write up so search or I can find some pics. Another car I have has the molded pods at the kickpanels but they can interfere with the clutch.

Thanks for all the ideas. I quite like the idea of putting them in the rear side panels. Have there been any issues with vibration or did you strengthen the panel from hehind?

I was think maybe glue some plywood behind which would also give it strength.

On 4/20/2018 at 5:54 AM, JET 445 said:

I put mine here, pretty well hidden behind the seats.

DSCN0793.JPG

I have mine in boxes just sitting on the fold down. I do have another set of interior panels laying around that have speakers mounted just like yours, plan to swap them out.

I really don't understand the idea of mounting speakers in the rear.  If I had my druthers, I'd rather mount a willowy blonde in the rear of the car,  if you get my drift...

But hey!  You do what you want!  *G*

Try mounting one in a front bucket seat with a 4 speed and a center console it has a sound you will never forget.

In the east we always used pioneer super tuners for the best sound...

And with no overhead lighting the bright dial was always welcome 

I think I need to go sit in my car with the radio on for a minute or two or three...