Jump to content
newstang

69 Vert project

Recommended Posts

I need some advice on front end parts.

Being I usually do everything restomod, i dont know about any other than stock replacement parts.

Looking to do this on the "cheap" probably not doing the usual cross member with ifs. So, what can i use for upper, lower control arms , springs, etc. also what fits for a disc brake setup from drum spindles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

I picked up an order just like that for a fastback conversion ,it is like Christmass ...except for the money i had to shell out

very true, but its over 3k so at least i got free shipping :-)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RPM said:

Yes, Dan is the owner. Sorry, but I didn't see your question till now. 

Now that's a delivery. Merry Christmas btw!

seems like he has some conflicting info on there.

Are we able to use the 69 drum spindles for disc?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, newstang said:

seems like he has some conflicting info on there.

Are we able to use the 69 drum spindles for disc?

 

I believe 4 Piston K/H style disc set up used on earlier Mustangs will fit to 69 spindle; not the original 69 style single piston kind which requires a disc brake spindle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, newstang said:

seems like he has some conflicting info on there.

Are we able to use the 69 drum spindles for disc?

 

1965-69 drum spindles are the same, and can be used for disc brake conversions such as the 1994 and up 13" rotor Cobra/GT, and the 1967 T-Bird style 12" rotor KH brakes. 1970 and up are similar and have a larger diameter pin/snout, and use different bearings. Which front discs are you looking into? Mustang Steve has several conversion brackets and kits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used the Mustang Steve conversion kit on my 1970, and used 1970 drum spindles, which are heavier duty than the earlier ones.  I installed late mode Cobra brakes on all 4 wheels, you can see the info on my 1970 convertible restoration thread.  I have a set of original 1970 disc brake spindles if you are interested in going back to stock hardware.  Be happy to sell them, but they are heavy, and will cost to ship.  You also need the 5 lug hubs if the spindles don't come with them.  I used one Mustang one, and one off of a Fairlane.  There is a small spacer ring that needs to be used to center the hub, also available from Mustang Steve.  Some pics below. Hope that helps.

Oh. last thing is that I needed to use a thin spacer to clear my Foose wheels on the front.  The inside of the Foose wheel interfered with the Cobra front caliper.  The spacer also needed to use the centering ring.  I had to sand a few thousandths off of the ring to get it into the spacer plate.

 

 

IMG_2639.JPG

IMG_2585.JPG

IMG_2586.JPG

IMG_2638.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RPM said:

1965-69 drum spindles are the same, and can be used for disc brake conversions such as the 1994 and up 13" rotor Cobra/GT, and the 1967 T-Bird style 12" rotor KH brakes. 1970 and up are similar and have a larger diameter pin/snout, and use different bearings. Which front discs are you looking into? Mustang Steve has several conversion brackets and kits.

I have no idea which. If it gets too pricy or complicated i may just do another IFS,

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vicfreg said:

I used the Mustang Steve conversion kit on my 1970, and used 1970 drum spindles, which are heavier duty than the earlier ones.  I installed late mode Cobra brakes on all 4 wheels, you can see the info on my 1970 convertible restoration thread.  I have a set of original 1970 disc brake spindles if you are interested in going back to stock hardware.  Be happy to sell them, but they are heavy, and will cost to ship.  You also need the 5 lug hubs if the spindles don't come with them.  I used one Mustang one, and one off of a Fairlane.  There is a small spacer ring that needs to be used to center the hub, also available from Mustang Steve.  Some pics below. Hope that helps.

Oh. last thing is that I needed to use a thin spacer to clear my Foose wheels on the front.  The inside of the Foose wheel interfered with the Cobra front caliper.  The spacer also needed to use the centering ring.  I had to sand a few thousandths off of the ring to get it into the spacer plate.

 

 

IMG_2639.JPG

IMG_2585.JPG

IMG_2586.JPG

IMG_2638.JPG

 

:-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Mine hit $4,700 ...i win ! No i didnt :(

Im sure Ill beat you. for some reason, m dumb ass forgot to order essential parts like, radiator support, seat platforms and im sure a ton more aside from suspension which isnt even a thought right now.

Hey, for you Cali's this is what rust looks like and im just beginning to tear it up :-)

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_308c.thumb.jpg.4d719c4175f2af8300592e47be2ad0b8.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, newstang said:

Im sure Ill beat you. for some reason, m dumb ass forgot to order essential parts like, radiator support, seat platforms and im sure a ton more aside from suspension which isnt even a thought right now.

Hey, for you Cali's this is what rust looks like and im just beginning to tear it up :-)

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_308c.thumb.jpg.4d719c4175f2af8300592e47be2ad0b8.jpg

 

No ,no ,noooooo! No i will have bad dreams !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×