newstang

69 Vert project

6 hours ago, mustangstofear said:

Now that  looks a lot better. I do hope he removed the  headlight buckets. 

If he didn't, at least you won't see any unpainted edges :)  

Education (on his part) Is not free. 

10 hours ago, mustangstofear said:

That's how it should have  looked the first time:)

yep. so obviously he is capable of doing the work, he just chose to try and screw me. 

at least it cost him materials and time, hopefully he learns from this.

I don’t think the bracket and hardware set  Jimlay posted is correct for 69 and 70. The brackets are attached to the bumper with chrome headed bolts and nuts (like the chrome headed bolts that attach the bumpers to main brackets). The bracket is attached to the valance with bolts and nuts (and I also put rubber washers between bracket and valance). No place to use the clip nuts shown in the picture. Also, the middle section of the brackets (the section between 2 bends) seems longer than the ones in the picture for 69 and 70.

The lower valence hole is squared off. The 69 coupe I bought several years ago had the square push in plastic pieces (like for the rear license plate)and a screw held the bracket in place. I also noticed when opening the chrome bumper bolt kit, it came with 2 screws in the bag for the smaller chrome bolts for attaching bracket.

2 hours ago, Caseyrhe said:

The lower valence hole is squared off. The 69 coupe I bought several years ago had the square push in plastic pieces (like for the rear license plate)and a screw held the bracket in place. I also noticed when opening the chrome bumper bolt kit, it came with 2 screws in the bag for the smaller chrome bolts for attaching bracket.

Square push in plastic nut makes sense. Then you don’t need to put a rubber washer between the bracket and the valance.

Front Bumper corner brackets:

When I got my car back from paint in 1982, I first re-mounted the old & bent up bumper that came with the car so these brackets did not line up at all with my brand new valance.   When I finally got new bumpers, I got all new and correct hardware for these brackets and then painted the brackets black.   With the new bumper in place, they still were off as far as lining up with the holes so instead of spending a bunch of time bending them to fit then re-painting them, I just left them off.   

Shortly after, I rear-ended a Nova (low speed) and flattened the nose of my new bumper and the upper valance behind it.   The ends of the bumper also popped away from the sides of the car and if these two brackets had been in place they would have likely ripped though my brand new lower valance which I would have also have had to fix or replace and re-paint.   Instead I just needed to straighten and re-paint the upper valance that goes between the headlight buckets and replace the bumper.   May have needed to replace or repair / re-paint the lower trim panel and edge trim, but don't remember exactly.   Not having to touch the lower valance saved me a bunch of $$.

I bought a NEW set of these corner brackets about 10 years ago thinking I would finally try and install them but they needed tweaking too to fit so I again gave up.  

Quite honestly, I think the bumper has plenty of support from the inner and outer brackets that I doubt there is ever any "movement" way out on the ends.

Doug

I see you went with the same LED taillights as me. just a heads up, the reflector that's in the middle of the lights will start popping off. they are held in place by crappy double sided tape. I went in and removed the tape, then super glued them down. for how much they are, you would think that the tape of securement of the reflectors would be better.

9 hours ago, 69Stanger408 said:

I'm in the process of purchasing halos but have not found anything that has great reviews. Which brand/part number for your installed halo headlights? Did you have any issues with the trim ring fitting?

those lights are Octane lighting, i got them off ebay. The ones on this car has the switchback halo, they are white with park lamps and go yellow with turn sig.

there are some standoff tabs spot welded to the back of the lamp housing, i snip them off so the trim ring will fit.