newstang

69 Vert project

5 hours ago, mustangstofear said:

Are sitting  down  :)  20,000 is what we charge. We have accurate time and materials to back it up.

well, I guess that's the difference, this cost me 12k, but he only had to do the outside of the car, no under the car, no engine compartment, no trunk.

look at these pics, dent, no paint on extensions, hood corner burnt with a wheel as well as unpainted edge, I can go on and on.

IMG_2452.jpeg

IMG_2453.jpeg

IMG_2458.jpeg

9 hours ago, newstang said:

well, that's the funny part, I paid for half upfront plus materials, then a few weeks ago gave me a sob story and asked if I could square up with him.

I knew at that point that now that he's paid, he won't give a crap. What is the going rate on paint jobs these days?

That is exactly why I will likely paint my own car. I'm thinking that people today, many, just don't give a rip and that saying, "you get what you pay for" doesn't always hold water. Been there a few times and it leaves for a real nasty experience. And you're right, you pay him off and he will be done with you. 

1 minute ago, Machspeed said:

That is exactly why I will likely paint my own car. I'm thinking that people today, many, just don't give a rip and that saying, "you get what you pay for" doesn't always hold water. Been there a few times and it leaves for a real nasty experience. And you're right, you pay him off and he will be done with you. 

yea, he said im nitpicking.

thing is, my car club is in the town he has his shop. cant wait to bring my car to the cruise and let everyone see what type of work he does.

4 hours ago, newstang said:

well, I guess that's the difference, this cost me 12k, but he only had to do the outside of the car, no under the car, no engine compartment, no trunk.

look at these pics, dent, no paint on extensions, hood corner burnt with a wheel as well as unpainted edge, I can go on and on.

IMG_2452.jpeg

IMG_2453.jpeg

IMG_2458.jpeg

Oh HELL No!!!   I would NEVER be able to get away with charging $12,000 for such a limited job (only the basic exterior), and then call it complete with bare and burnt through edges...   Come on guys, Yes a great paint job IS a specialized and expensive procedure, but THIS is NOT a Great Paint Job!!!  This is a $7,000 paint Job TOPS!!!...   It's not like that Blue is nearly as expensive as a 3 Stage Red (more than twice as much material costs). And the quality is even below what I would consider Mediocre!!!    Sorry Buddy, My Opinion is that you got Ripped off for $12,000!!!   :(   

40 minutes ago, mwye0627 said:

Oh HELL No!!!   I would NEVER be able to get away with charging $12,000 for such a limited job (only the basic exterior), and then call it complete with bare and burnt through edges...   Come on guys, Yes a great paint job IS a specialized and expensive procedure, but THIS is NOT a Great Paint Job!!!  This is a $7,000 paint Job TOPS!!!...   It's not like that Blue is nearly as expensive as a 3 Stage Red (more than twice as much material costs). And the quality is even below what I would consider Mediocre!!!    Sorry Buddy, My Opinion is that you got Ripped off for $12,000!!!   :(   

I agree. My yellow Mach cost me 7k and it had none of these flaws. No doubt I may be at a loss. But wh n I get done with him he’ll be painting walls for a living 

So i picked up the car, brought it back and of course my neighbors are all car guys and had a field day picking it apart.

They are right. 

deep scratches on the headlight bucket and could see he tried to wet sand it and forgot to polish, scratches still there, TONS of orange peel and fish eye Holes. dirt in the lower quarter in paint.

Unpainted fenders and quarter lip in the wheel well. so many things i can not even bring myself to call him because he would surely play stupid and then the problems would begin. im so upset I really dont know what to do!

IMG_2467.jpeg

IMG_2465.jpeg

IMG_2464.jpeg

IMG_2466.jpeg

IMG_2469.jpeg

24 minutes ago, mustangstofear said:

I did just the outside of a convertible a few years  back for 7500.00.  He shipped  the car up from  New Mexico  to  have me do it. 

Looks like I’ll send my other one to you. 

43 minutes ago, newstang said:

So the body guy told me to send it back and he'll give me what i want. 

I figure he should give me what I paid for , but hey, lets see what happens.

Good luck, hope he will do it right this time.

3 hours ago, aslanefe said:

Good luck, hope he will do it right this time.

keeping my fingers crossed, but something tells me that if he didnt do it right the first time, chances are it wont be better after he has to buy all the materials again.

3 hours ago, newstang said:

keeping my fingers crossed, but something tells me that if he didnt do it right the first time, chances are it wont be better after he has to buy all the materials again

Materials can be bought cheap; I paid about $300 for a gallon of paint, clear and hardeners etc (Nason, champagne gold base, Acme clear) at the local paint supply without any discount when I painted my daily driver 69 Grande last September.

On 8/7/2019 at 5:06 AM, newstang said:

So the body guy told me to send it back and he'll give me what i want. 

I figure he should give me what I paid for , but hey, lets see what happens.

I wish you all the best mate. Must be even more stressful letting the prick have another go. Good luck 

6 hours ago, bigmal said:

I wish you all the best mate. Must be even more stressful letting the prick have another go. Good luck 

Thanks, it sucks to think I have no other option and have a feeling it won't be any better this time around.

so I went up to take a look at where he's at with it, he DA'ed the whole car and looks like he's gonna respray it.

Who is willing to bet he's gonna paint and clearcoat with those headlight buckets on the fender?

IMG_2601.jpeg.61900153918b93ac28608cde3d05e171.jpegIMG_2600.jpeg.323db1ca56365253da654011b41b4255.jpegIMG_2602.jpeg.97bdea1445c21512a0ec64a109fbbcc7.jpeg

2 hours ago, newstang said:

so I went up to take a look at where he's at with it, he DA'ed the whole car and looks like he's gonna respray it.

Who is willing to bet he's gonna paint and clearcoat with those headlight buckets on the fender?

Well, don't wait for him to paint with headlight buckets on the fenders; just ask him to remove them, or offer to remove yourself. This is the time to keep an eye and talk to him if you think he is going to make a mistake or take a short cut.

46 minutes ago, aslanefe said:

Well, don't wait for him to paint with headlight buckets on the fenders; just ask him to remove them, or offer to remove yourself. This is the time to keep an eye and talk to him if you think he is going to make a mistake or take a short cut.

when he came to get the car he didn't say a word to me, he was mad at me instead of apologizing for this mess he created. 

Looking great. The guy has no idea about business. If he looked after you, you would tell a few people. Now you will tell anyone who will listen. It would be the last place I would take a car. .......if I was in the US

1 hour ago, bigmal said:

Looking great. The guy has no idea about business. If he looked after you, you would tell a few people. Now you will tell anyone who will listen. It would be the last place I would take a car. .......if I was in the US

problem is there are only two reasons this happened. Either he is really bad at what he does, or he tried to screw me. there can be no other reason. Being the car looks much better now, im going with he tried to screw me. we have about 100 members in our car club, every one of them knows about this and they all know him locally. Word will only spread from here.