newstang

69 Vert project

Good luck with the wiring, I remember being at that point with my 69 Coupe. It is a little scary at first, just do one section at a time & before you know it you will have it completed. Are you using the AAW wiring kit?.

55 minutes ago, Mike65 said:

Good luck with the wiring, I remember being at that point with my 69 Coupe. It is a little scary at first, just do one section at a time & before you know it you will have it completed. Are you using the AAW wiring kit?.

it the EZ wiring kit. I've done it twice already and each time it's like I never did it. not to mention I can't see a damn thing on the wires. I have to put cheaters over my bifocals to see the wire :-)

I also just got my Ron Francis wiring for the engine, that will also be going in.

wired the engine and pulled the Ron Francis harness to the rear panel. i make a bit of an enclosure to keep any drips away.

I dont know if any of you have used Ron Francis before, this is my third. The harness is amazing and Scott is always there to answer.

IMG_1397.jpeg

IMG_1398.jpeg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_34d6.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_34ca.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_34d1.jpg

I always use velcro tape to do wiring looms, easy to remove and add new wires and does not create hot spots like cable ties, insulation tape just makes a sticky mess. Just a thought.

https://turbox.com.au/product/10m-roll-velcro-cable-tie/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7tiRrI_54AIVhR2PCh2HfACsEAQYAiABEgIKCPD_BwE

7 hours ago, unilec said:

I always use velcro tape to do wiring looms, easy to remove and add new wires and does not create hot spots like cable ties, insulation tape just makes a sticky mess. Just a thought.

https://turbox.com.au/product/10m-roll-velcro-cable-tie/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7tiRrI_54AIVhR2PCh2HfACsEAQYAiABEgIKCPD_BwE

i use shrink tube .

So everyday I lean some new stupid thing Ford did.

My diff is all together, nice coat of paint, fully assembled and I even added a drain plug as I always do.

I went to fill it today and said to myself," Self, where is the fill plug" ?

Well, I guess ford decided no need to fill them!

So, i had to add one on a closed installed diff.

Thank god for the drain hole to flush out the metal grindings.

IMG_1473.thumb.jpeg.d9f1361b7fa5705648b8bbba3211302c.jpeg

Its on its feet today!.

I put it up on the lift and the clearance of the exhaust to the block/ bellhousing is closer than i thought.

This is the 3rd set of different headers to have this issue.

I may have to cut off an angle of the block or anyone else run into this crap?

Or-- what are the the thoughts of adding a spacer between the block and manifold to bring it out a 1/2"

IMG_1479.jpeg

IMG_1480.jpeg

I just joined to comment on your project.  "Looking Good"

It looks very much like the 69 base vert I started in 2016. Was driving it last summer. When I was working on it in my personal garage.IMG_0966.thumb.JPG.14641e626efecde202f0db5f9e48d61e.JPG I had to clean up every night to get the daily driver in. I saved a bucket of lose rust I swept from the floor, and was actually going to call the car Rusty.  Then I  chose paint "RR" and I changed it to Ruby. 

The car sounds good. almost wish I had dropped a modern 5.0, I'm running carb.

I used large peace's of cardboard too locate the leaks. If you mark where they  touch the tires you can measure to the exact spot. 

Are you keeping a running tally of cost? I know I spent faster than planned. I'm in at just under $20k

IMG_0750.JPG

8 hours ago, Mystang said:

The car sounds good. almost wish I had dropped a modern 5.0, I'm running carb.

I used large peace's of cardboard too locate the leaks. If you mark where they  touch the tires you can measure to the exact spot. 

Are you keeping a running tally of cost? I know I spent faster than planned. I'm in at just under $20k

IMG_0750.JPG

haven't kept a tally on this one because i thought id do this on the cheap.

but so far in the last 3 weeks I've spent over 13k, not including anything before :-(

"on the cheap" is a relative term. But keep in mind it's cheaper too do it right the first time than too go back and do it over later.

I rebuilt the original engine and C4 trans and now wish I had dropped a crate and a 4R70W in the car from the start. I don't know that will ever happen now. Instead I have done a couple engine upgrades and rear gears. Even that would have been cheaper and easier if I had done it from the beginning.

Sa la vie.