newstang

69 Vert project

6 hours ago, newstang said:

made some small funnels for the ends of the convertible frame rail so the water is directed into tubes leading out instead of in the quarter panel.

just tack welded in place

Never understood why they designed to drain into the quarter panel without really sealing the inside of the quarter to prevent rust. At least they put drain holes on the rockers so the water has a place to drain.

19 hours ago, aslanefe said:

Never understood why they designed to drain into the quarter panel without really sealing the inside of the quarter to prevent rust. At least they put drain holes on the rockers so the water has a place to drain.

They didnt think these would be around for 50+ years, they figured 7-10 years at most.

1 hour ago, newstang said:

They didnt think these would be around for 50+ years, they figured 7-10 years at most.

I had planned to direct the water with a hose on my vert like you are doing but starting with a bigger drain hole that gets smaller (like funnel) with a screen over it to catch leaves and what not so they do not plug the hose. Will enlarge the hole on the top and bottoms of the rockers and stick the hose past about 0.5 inches the lower part of the rocker. Well, that is my plan when I start restoring it.

11 hours ago, aslanefe said:

I had planned to direct the water with a hose on my vert like you are doing but starting with a bigger drain hole that gets smaller (like funnel) with a screen over it to catch leaves and what not so they do not plug the hose. Will enlarge the hole on the top and bottoms of the rockers and stick the hose past about 0.5 inches the lower part of the rocker. Well, that is my plan when I start restoring it.

this hole is about 3/8, should be fine, a screen is a good idea. ill make a drop in one so it can be cleaned off.

2 hours ago, newstang said:

this hole is about 3/8, should be fine, a screen is a good idea. ill make a drop in one so it can be cleaned off.

Yes 3/8 hose is fine;  what I meant was make the screened area bigger. if you start with a 3/8 hole with a screen, a little dirt will plug it; if your screened area is bigger, then it will take more stuff to plug the screen and water to over flow due to not draining through the hose.

I bought seatbelts from a ford e150 with the extended part so i can mount the belt and grab them.

Judging by what other people have done this should clear the frame. (At least I hope, it is really welded in there now) 

Does anyone see a potential interference issue with the top frame?

seatbelts.jpg

IMG_1047.jpeg

IMG_1053.jpeg

IMG_1054.jpeg

IMG_1059.jpeg

IMG_1056.jpeg

IMG_1051.jpeg

IMG_1055.jpeg

NIce work!  Not sure what is planned for the rear suspension. If you are going to do anything more than stock (Watts Link, 4-Link, Panhard Bar, etc), now would be a good time to weld those brackets in and do the undercarriage mods, so you can re-coat those areas with the bedliner material now.   Most 3 and 4 links will require mods to the trunk floor near the shock mounts and even the Panhard bar, like on my '70 Vert needed brackets welded to the rear frame rails.

8 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

I sprayed the inside of mine with bed liner as well ,i like the look even though it will never be seen ,i left the under side in red epoxy though

downloadfile.jpg

looks great, when i sprayed mine i didnt realize i ordered the tintable one, then i added black paint to it, so you may notice spots that look like i missed. 

8 hours ago, Vicfreg said:

NIce work!  Not sure what is planned for the rear suspension. If you are going to do anything more than stock (Watts Link, 4-Link, Panhard Bar, etc), now would be a good time to weld those brackets in and do the undercarriage mods, so you can re-coat those areas with the bedliner material now.   Most 3 and 4 links will require mods to the trunk floor near the shock mounts and even the Panhard bar, like on my '70 Vert needed brackets welded to the rear frame rails.

this one is getting just leaf springs. anyone have a suggestion as to which ones?

5 hours ago, newstang said:

looks great, when i sprayed mine i didnt realize i ordered the tintable one, then i added black paint to it, so you may notice spots that look like i missed. 

I bought this liner from Wallmart ,it is made by rustolium ,$80 for a sprayable gallon and it is just as good as the expensive stuff . Its a two part mix and takes over night to fully cure . I even sprayed it in the roof ,i had a spot that pushed down easily ,it didnt stay down but it was like a soft spot ,after spraying the bed liner ,it would not push down any more,also took out the ringing when you tapped on the roof

26 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

I bought this liner from Wallmart ,it is made by rustolium ,$80 for a sprayable gallon and it is just as good as the expensive stuff . Its a two part mix and takes over night to fully cure . I even sprayed it in the roof ,i had a spot that pushed down easily ,it didnt stay down but it was like a soft spot ,after spraying the bed liner ,it would not push down any more,also took out the ringing when you tapped on the roof

good price!, i use the u-pol raptor which costs a fortune.

24 minutes ago, Vicfreg said:

Nice job with the facemask on the young lad, way to go Grandpa....

We all have breathed in so much junk by now, for us it doesn't matter...

yea, at this point i dont even bother ith one, i just blow my nose and let the natural filters take care of it :-)

You might want to reconsider having that upper intake installed, if you still have to lift the engine off of the stand to install it.   If you try to lift it with chains mounted to the ends of the heads, or the exhaust, you will probably scratch that nice new blue paint.  I always lift my engines by the intake with a plate.