newstang

69 Vert project

13 hours ago, newstang said:

Sure have, I used it on the Mach1 and it is a really nice and time saving. problem is i need to do this on the cheaper side and the full floor would be a waste because i would have to cut off the floor sides which have the inner rocker for a coupe/ fastback only

It looks like you will need both front and back frame rails and torque boxes, I would suggest mounting  the frame rails with braces onto a jig with the correct spacing and build up from there, you can buy a complete floor for a vert as well and then fit the complete trunk floor, so build from the bottom up.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/cj-classics-full-floor-pan-one-piece-convertible-1965-1970/p/FLP9K/

16 hours ago, newstang said:

Sure have, I used it on the Mach1 and it is a really nice and time saving. problem is i need to do this on the cheaper side and the full floor would be a waste because i would have to cut off the floor sides which have the inner rocker for a coupe/ fastback only

The only portion of a coupe / fastback floor you would need to trim off would be the little angle that attaches to the inner rocker.  The floor pan welds to the underside of the inner rocker on the convertible. Full floors are a wonderful thing, I would much rather install a one piece than patch a floor and do all the finishing work.  

had braces welded on my doors also.. left drivetrain in while doing all the sheet metal.. had to trim one door and extend the other after all the welding was done.. oops...cant tell now..    Floors torque boxes frame rails inner rockers  trunk floor.. the list goes on .. 

2012-06-17 16.28.23.jpg

Edited by 1969vert
update

On 4/25/2018 at 9:32 AM, newstang said:

Is it possible that these quarter end pieces are not made? i  looked on Dynacorn, cj, and others and dont see them available. 5ae0916e6e580_ScreenShot2018-04-25at10_22_08AM.png.229905b216b63e36bace5f05ef4731d8.png

As far as I know they only come with the quarter skin. When I replaced both quarter skins on my 69 Coupe I purchase them from CJ Pony Parts & they were part of the quarter skin. If your Vert needs quarters I would get the quarter skins, you will get that piece & it also wraps into the door opening where it welds to the "B" pillar.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/quarter-panel-skin-coupe-convertible-1969/p/QPS4-V/

1 hour ago, Mike65 said:

As far as I know they only come with the quarter skin. When I replaced both quarter skins on my 69 Coupe I purchase them from CJ Pony Parts & they were part of the quarter skin. If your Vert needs quarters I would get the quarter skins, you will get that piece & it also wraps into the door opening where it welds to the "B" pillar.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/quarter-panel-skin-coupe-convertible-1969/p/QPS4-V/

I think he is asking about the piece between the quarter and taillight panel. By the way, as far as I remember, there are 2 pieces there.

6 hours ago, aslanefe said:

I think he is asking about the piece between the quarter and taillight panel. By the way, as far as I remember, there are 2 pieces there.

Thanks, I misunderstood.

The more I look at all that needs to be replaced, I need to convince myself that it is still cheaper than trying to find one in great condition.  So it looks like ill need about 3k in all new sheet metal, which I guess isn't too bad to make this whole again. 

It's just that there is SO much rust to remove and keeping this from falling apart will be challenging. 

IMG_2607.jpg

IMG_2605.jpg

IMG_2606.jpg

IMG_2608.jpg

Got in one of those moods today and decided to lighten the ass of the car a bit, now i may be able to get in there and do some floor/frame work.

In the scrap bin is almost half a mustang 

IMG_2655.jpg

IMG_2656.jpg

IMG_2654.jpg

IMG_2657.jpg

As much as you have had to remove from the rear of the car ,i would build the floor clip outside the car and slip it under in one piece  ,i did this converting an old race car back to street ,it was way easier . Of course i had another car to get measurements from . It was pretty much the rear frame rails  with torque boxes ,rear trunk brace ,shock brace ,rear floor over the rear end and the trunk floors . 

6 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

As much as you have had to remove from the rear of the car ,i would build the floor clip outside the car and slip it under in one piece  ,i did this converting an old race car back to street ,it was way easier . Of course i had another car to get measurements from . It was pretty much the rear frame rails  with torque boxes ,rear trunk brace ,shock brace ,rear floor over the rear end and the trunk floors . 

yea, i was thinking of doing it that way. Id make a jig to keep it all where it should be and hopefully, it all comes together.

7 hours ago, aslanefe said:

That is a project, are you going to keep anything besides the top frame?

I dont think there will be much left other than the top and the rear seat support

Have you considered one of the complete floor pans/trunk assemblies? May save quite a bit of time and aggregation. Remember time is money. Below is for a fastback or cupe but a little searching I’m sure a vert version may be found.:

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mustang/Body/Floor-Trunk-Seat-Pans/One-Piece-Floor-Pans/Dynacorn-1-Piece-Floor-Trunk-Pan-1969-1970-Mustang-Coupe-Fastback.axd

What I was referring to was a complete assembly, everything from the rear frame rails to the front frame rail supports. Dynacorn and at least one of the major companies make these assemblies for the 65/66 vert as well as coup and fastback of all years. I have not seen one for a 69/70 vert but I am sure someone has a complete assembly. There was a company that was assembling & selling the 65/66 before before Dynacorn and the others, they would build others upon request. Can not seem to find the company name at the moment.

Just found it, Thoroughbred GT (http://www.thoroughbredgt.com/ 330-533-0048). They may now be out of business or the home page URL has changed. May be worth a phone call the phone number still works, 330-533-0048. If I were working on a car with that much rust if I could get a quality fully assembled pan I would jump on it in a heartbeat. It takes a lot of time and dedication to do the work right, what is your time worth TO YOU.:

https://www.prlog.org/12053498-100-premium-quality-mustang-real-steel-floors.html

https://www.facebook.com/ThoroughbredInt/

34086d1357598120-complete-floor-pan-asse

9 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

That is about why it will probably have to be done in pieces ,not hard to do at all

I agree, I did the one pc. on the Mach1, but on the vert it would be the only way, there would be nothing left in and around it to mount to the floor.

Besides, for the cost of the floor, Ill have every panel.