russ69coupe

I got another project car

Now, I did NOT need another project. Really did not need in fact. Don't have the room if nothing else. Really don't have the money for more than one.

But I came across this on Craigslist and foolishly decided to talk to the seller. He is in Tucson, and I am in the Phoenix area with no way to get the car here, so I thought I was safe.

But no, he is willing to deliver it for a small price. And this car punched a number of things on the "I always want to do this with a car" list. And I could afford it, even with the delivery, thanks to finally getting the hiring bonus for my current job. Cost me $700 total. Some may think I got taken. I think that sometimes. But main issue is getting physically able to do this. Health hasn't been great the last few years. But I see a car and forget about that until after I get it.

I should have spent the money on my 72 Ranchero. Now I need to just cover this new one with a tarp until I get the Ranchero back on the road. Like that is really going to happen.

OH, what is it?

1979 Pinto. Glass hatch. Fully caged. Setup for a 2.3L rear sump pan(modified crossmember) with T5 from a fox Mustang. Seller had a turbo in it before he parked it 20 years ago. He had the cage installed and then life got in the way I guess. Recently inherited his brother's Mustang II and decided it was finally time to let this one go.

I have a 89 Mustang with a plain 2.3 and A4ld that will be the new powertrain, for now. Eventually need to get a T5. I like shifting gears. Car has an 8inch Pinto/Mustang rear with 4.10 gears. Seller's parents are the original owners, he was given the car at about 17 years old.

Not my first Pinto. Drove one for about 2 years in Ohio before making it a project car. Currently have a 74 wagon in the back yard that at this rate will never see the road again as it keeps getting pushed back on the to-do list.

Oh, the pictures are at the seller's place. I wish I had that cover.

79 Pinto Smaller 1.jpg

79 Pinto Smaller 2.jpg

79 Pinto Smaller 7.jpg

79 Pinto Smaller 9.jpg

Couple of other things.

No, the cage is not certified. Not an issue, I am not racing this. Just always wanted a full caged street car. I'm not a welder, although I need to at least learn enough to do the floor pans in the Ranchero. But welding a cage likely will be beyond my skills, so finding a car with it done is great.

Missing the windshield. That may be a pain, but will worry about it later. I am on a Pinto site, so I have connections for parts.

Got about 8 storage bins of the parts he took off the car. Overall got pretty much everything but the engine/trans, seats, carpet, radiator support, and inner fenders. Probably won't be using most anyway. I do need to figure out how to piece the stock dash around the cage. Only doing it since the vin is part of it. Otherwise I would just use a racing dash.

I would like to put a V8 in, in fact a 351C. Just not sure at this point. Goal for now is to get the car running and on the road as inexpensively as I can. I have a good paying job, but not THAT good. And I really do need to get the Ranchero going first. But I also need to strip the 89 Mustang and get rid of the shell before I get in more trouble with the zoning people. The 89 has EFI, which should be a good thing. With the 4.10 rear gears, even a blah 2.3L should be fun. At least stoplight to stoplight.

Got most of the extra stuff in a storage place already. Still a little bit in the interior. Front bumper, dash. First goal is to sand off the surface rust and paint the front frame/cage. Then the interior. Thinking of using the VHT chassis epoxy. I used some on the front suspension parts of the Ranchero, and really like it. Not the cheapest paint, but seems to cover well and should last. I'm not really set up to spray, so spray cans are good for me. Brush on wouldn't be bad, but I don't want to see brush marks. POR15 would be a possibility, but I don't think it is needed here.

Can't decide on the front sheet metal. I really like the small bumper Pintos, and I have the sheet metal from my 74 wagon, but I would need to get a small bumper and front valence for it as it came with the big bumper/no valence. I do have the entire front end for this, and I don't have to make a decision anytime soon. So something to think about.

Thanks,

Russ

10 hours ago, 1969Fstback said:

That would be a fun project.   I like the old pintos. 

Me too. Should be a fun project, easy to work on, shouldn't break the bank, and you'll have something that not everyone else has. I'm guessing any missing parts can be found in Arizona.

My buddy back in the 70's had a sharp white with blue trim Pinto that he kept immaculate. And, of course, Bob Glidden and Jack Roush both had nice 351C-powered Pintos.

And lets be honest.  Is there anyone who really does not NEED another project?  I have 4.  My 69 Fastback an 1 for each of my 3 kids.  Five if you count the bass boat my wife inherited from her dad.

I have a soft spot for pintos.

There is a pinto wagon that I see in town on and off that even has wood grain sides..(older man driving)Bone stock..

V8 with some under body work and a little lager tires.

I Just get wet thinking about it...

1 minute ago, ray1970 said:

I have a soft spot for pintos.

There is a pinto wagon that I see in town on and off that even has wood grain sides..(older man driving)Bone stock..

V8 with some under body work and a little lager tires.

I Just get wet thinking about it...

TMI!