I depends what year and type of C-4.  They can use either 157 tooth or 164 tooth flexplates.  There are "pan fill" C4s and "case fill" C-4s.   The name has to do with where the dipstick enters the transmission.

The 157 tooth flex plate usually have a 10-1/2" bolt pattern for the torque converter, and the 164 tooth have a 11-7/16" bolt pattern.

So, unless you want to buy a new converter, I would not buy a new flex plate yet....

Also, if you have an early model engine, you need to get a 28 oz imbalance flex plate.  Later engines used a 50 oz flex plate.

Can you post a picture of your transmission?

Looking at your info and pics, I believe you have a C5. Here's some info I have on C5's: 

· C5 - 82-86

· Case fill {E2AP only)

· Pan fill {E2TP only}

Bellhousings of course come in several versions. Case fills come with bells that bolt to the pump while pan fills come with bells that bolt to the case. C5 bells are deeper than either of the C4 versions. Most of the time, the case fills use the 157 tooth flywheel and the pan fills use the 164 tooth, but there are exceptions. The best tip I've seen to ID them is to measure the depth. If the depth is 5 7/8" it is a small bell 157t, if it is 6 1/4 is regular bell 164t and if it is 7" it is a c5 bell 164t.

On 4/14/2018 at 8:03 AM, Her69fastback said:

Just put a c4 in the wife’s car. The starter is  not engaging with the flexplate. Stater is working. It’s not hitting the flexplate. Is there different size flexplate for a c4 

What was in the car before you put the new C4 in? Where did you get the flex plate? Where are you located?

I have pretty much the identical bell housing on my engine test stand.  It is 6-1/4” deep, from a pan fill C-4, 164 tooth flexplate.   

RF-D7DP- 7976-AA

I think the E2 TP is on the servo

Try this site. Good info.  I am for sure not the expert on these

http://www.pigseye.com/sadie/trans/c4.htm

Sorry, didn't read the location of the numbers. I saw the E2TP and got excited for you. I too have a pan fill C4, RF-D7BP 7976 -AA on the shelf but without the flex plate.

I did see this on Mustang 360:

A rule of thumb for C4 bellhousing identification is those that are 5-7/8-inch deep use 157-tooth flexplates, and those that are 6-1/4-inches deep are the larger 164-tooth flexplate. The C5 is an odd duck with a 164-tooth flexplate and a 7-inch deep bellhousing.

77-and-later D9AP-7976-AA Six-bolt bellhousing, 157-tooth flexplate, case-fill dipstick, cable kickdown, two-bolt starter, 255, 302, 350 V-8

There are many C4 and C5 bellhousing types for a variety of applications. Don't make the mistake of picking up a pump-mount bellhousing for a case-mount C4 and vice-versa. It's easy to make that mistake as these bellhousings look so much alike at first glance. The most obvious difference is 157-tooth versus 164-tooth flexplates. Check depth first, then casting number.

If I were you, I'd measure the bellhousing for sure.

Hope you get it to work.  The Ford automatic transmission mix and match situation has always been a problem, some of the transmissions and associated parts appear identical, but are not.  Good luck...

Looks like I’m going to need a 164 tooth flexplate. Summit has one from Scott drake . What torque converter should I get?I will count the splines tomorrow to see what the count is. Do I just count the big out put shaft or do I count the small shaft to? 

I talked to summit racing. They have a flexplate that is 164 tooth 28oz that has both bolt patterns for the torque converter. This will save a lot of money if I can use the torque converter I have. The smaller converter will be ok won’t it 

Good idea to call Summit racing.   

The small converters are generally higher stall.   Picking torque converters is something I leave to experts.  For my car, I called TCI, and they needed my cam card, the weight of the car, and the rear axle ratio.    There is a lot more science to picking them than you would think.

You should call your torque converter supplier and chat with them about your application.  

19 hours ago, Her69fastback said:

The flexplate is $144.00 at summit. My torque converter is new . So I was hoping I could just get a flexplate. 

You probably can just get a flexplate. But  as Vic said, you still want to make sure the TC is matched to your existing combo.

If it's a stock rebuilt converter it very likely is a higher stall because of it's size. More than likely it's not enough so you or mostly anybody would really notice the difference.

On 4/19/2018 at 12:28 PM, Her69fastback said:

The flexplate is $144.00 at summit. My torque converter is new . So I was hoping I could just get a flexplate. 

you should be able to get a non sfi flex plate for 1/2 of that but it might not have the dual bolt pattern. check google.