Bill Bailey

Sound System Help...

I want to upgrade my stock AM radio single speaker system to an AM/FM CD sound system.

But I don't want to cut anything, and I want a retro looking radio that looks period correct.

I see CJ parts sells a trap door with two 6x9 pioneer speakers. So then I'm thinking no front speakers being I don't know where I would put them.

I would appreciate any ideas, or radios and equipment I should consider.

Thank you in advance.

Bill

I looked for a while and couldn't really find anything "retro" looking that I liked. I ended up buying one of the din radio bezels, you then have many choices. I paid more for the bezel than the radio. I mounted speakers in boxes that sit in front of the trap door, but don't like them there. I have another set of rear interior panels that have speaker holes already, I am going to paint and install them with speakers.

If you want a CD player, you will never keep things retro looking unless you put a cd player in the trunk.  I can do a simple mod to an existing radio to allow it to have an external audio input.  your radio would have a  standard 3.5mm audio  ( headphone style) connector on it.  Then you just click a switch, and the radio becomes an amplifier for whatever you have the audio plugged into.  It could be a Walkman style portable CD player, or a MP3 player.   I have done this for several others in this forum.  Cost is under $100, including AMFM radio, or go it on yours for less.    I can tell you more if you are interested.

danno did the MP3 conversion on a AM/FM radio I have in my Coupe & ran the connector  for the MP3 player through a small hole I drilled in the back of the glove box liner, this way I can plug in the MP3 player & leave it in the glove box.

34 minutes ago, Mike65 said:

danno did the MP3 conversion on a AM/FM radio I have in my Coupe & ran the connector  for the MP3 player through a small hole I drilled in the back of the glove box liner, this way I can plug in the MP3 player & leave it in the glove box.

That sounds like a great option. Thank you.

1 hour ago, danno said:

If you want a CD player, you will never keep things retro looking unless you put a cd player in the trunk.  I can do a simple mod to an existing radio to allow it to have an external audio input.  your radio would have a  standard 3.5mm audio  ( headphone style) connector on it.  Then you just click a switch, and the radio becomes an amplifier for whatever you have the audio plugged into.  It could be a Walkman style portable CD player, or a MP3 player.   I have done this for several others in this forum.  Cost is under $100, including AMFM radio, or go it on yours for less.    I can tell you more if you are interested.

Thanks Danno

2 hours ago, skidmarky said:

I looked for a while and couldn't really find anything "retro" looking that I liked. I ended up buying one of the din radio bezels, you then have many choices. I paid more for the bezel than the radio. I mounted speakers in boxes that sit in front of the trap door, but don't like them there. I have another set of rear interior panels that have speaker holes already, I am going to paint and install them with speakers.

You have a picture of yours?

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 2:42 AM, barnett468 said:

one option for the radio and cd is to look here. i am also a dealer for them and can probably save you a few dollars if you go with their stuff.

http://www.customautosoundmfg.com/

Hi Barnett, I will be in the US (St Louis) end of next week and usually come home with an extra bag full of parts. I am interested in replacing my radio on my 69 Mach 1 and like the look of the Custom Auto Sounds. Are you able to send me some prices for the Slide Bar, USA230 and 630 with the Blu Tooth option as well as a price for the 740. Also happy for any advice on fors and againsts each one.

Thanks, Mal.