Bill Bailey

Body tag question

Does anyone have a picture of where the body tag goes?  I still have mine in good shape but the shot guns are new and the orginal hole location is gone.  It looks like it goes close to the hood hinge in the pass side.

Going from memory here so I could be wrong...

On Dearborn built cars it is on the front of the radiator support on the passenger side of the car. Metuchen cars had them on the inner fender well between the shock tower and firewall. San Jose did not use buck tags. (Edit: San Jose not entirely true, see my post below)

Love your post, your memory is SPOT ON !!!!!   I have a 69 super cobra built in Dearborn, and son of a gun the tag is just at the spot you noted, right of radiator ???  You rock... I've owned the car for many years and was under the impression that Dearborn did NOT use one. Anyway, its a very simple one with vin, and a few other codes that show up on Marti report, and door panel decode. line 1)  F02R1xxxxx -63c - c-178  ----  line 2)  3a -pb   --- line 3) si -vg -rm ---- line 4) RAC  --  I'm hoping you bat 500, and can answer lines 4 and 5 ( s1 - vg - rm and rac Thanks again - if you like i can add a pic, this tag looks like none of the other buck tags I've seen ( simple covered in rust, paint ) This car is very special, triple black, 428 with no power steering and a 4:30 Detroit locker factory, if that helps. Many thanks again for the tag placement

Hey, glad I could help - and welcome to the site! That sounds like an impressive car, we would love to see pictures!

As far as the buck tag, I can look them up in Kevin Marti's Tag Book when I get home tonight.

From your post, I'm guessing you already know 63C is body type, 3A is black deluxe interior, PB is power brakes.

I think RM is "remote mirrors" and RAC is "racing type mirrors" (as opposed to rectangular chrome mirrors, which could also be remote). Like I said, I'll take a look at the book tonight to see if any of the other mystery codes are shown.

Yes, welcome to the forum rdm69supercobra. Ditto on the pic request. 

For the record,  here's a buck tag location pic on a Metuchen 69 scj drag pack. 

5accf4eeeb5b8_FenderBucktag.thumb.jpg.3af7beb9a8b403bbabb45423f21cd6ca.jpg

Thank you both very much for the welcome, and for the information ? After seeing your post and finding the tag, I found a site that answered all but one question. There are as follows

63c = mach 1 interior = also on Marti report - - 63a standard - - - 63b deluxe

C = jade Blk.

178 = line rotation #

F = Dearborn

VG = visibility group

RM = rocker molding - under the Dearborn list ----- it can also mean duel remote racing mirrors --- this car has both

RAC = race mirrors

3AA Blk inter.

and the one that was the hardest to find was SI , which turned out to be very basic ?  SI = special instructions. it was NOT Found on the " mustang grabber reg. "  which is were all other specs were taken from.  Finding the tag, supports all documents from Marti, and car inspections. The car is a ram air, 4spd, scj front oil cooler, oil lines adapter, horn placement, stag shocks, ram air, all lined up correct. Again, many many THANKS

PS If possible I have another question ?  After checking the block casting # c7me -A , which i know is just a FE 352 family, I also checked the oil filter block stamp which states the block was cast in 1967 aug 22, is it possible for the car built in march 11 1969 to have a casting # block a year and 1/2 form start to install ???THANKS AGAIN RDM Still a 500 bat, and yes ill add some pics

OH well I was hoping it was orig. I guess that's better than a casting date after march of 69. wonder what the time span is between sand cast to install ???   maybe the jury's still out.. anyway thanks again for the welcome. I'll pull the pan soon and hopefully it will have 427 lower end, and ill be happy.

Ok, I found my Kevin Marti book. You're right rdmsupercobrajet, rm meant "rocker molding" at Dearborn and "remote mirror" at Metchen.

And I stand corrected, San Jose did use buck tags in 1969 but only at the very end of the production year. So very few '69s will have one but most 70s will.

Thanks 69ravenConv. It sounds like both cars ( my/yours) look similar , my 69 is a jade black by code with a raven blk instead. when i figure out how 2 add some pics ill send you a note. So far all info is showing good things, although I would love to hear anything about block cast times from sand to install, I would love to believe that this engine is org. So far every part from fenders, valences, radiator are all showing Fomoco or ID. below the buck tag was raw metal, which makes me think its been there since day 1 ?  

14 hours ago, 69RavenConv said:

Ok, I found my Kevin Marti book. You're right rdmsupercobrajet, rm meant "rocker molding" at Dearborn and "remote mirror" at Metchen.

And I stand corrected, San Jose did use buck tags in 1969 but only at the very end of the production year. So very few '69s will have one but most 70s will.

Mine was bucked in June if I rem right, so that fits.

On 4/10/2018 at 9:06 PM, rdm69supercobra said:

Thanks 69ravenConv. It sounds like both cars ( my/yours) look similar , my 69 is a jade black by code with a raven blk instead. when i figure out how 2 add some pics ill send you a note. So far all info is showing good things, although I would love to hear anything about block cast times from sand to install, I would love to believe that this engine is org. So far every part from fenders, valences, radiator are all showing Fomoco or ID. below the buck tag was raw metal, which makes me think its been there since day 1 ?  

I've got a red interior and a small block engine but otherwise our cars are certainly cousins - they would look good parked side by side at a show :)  As far as your engine, the 428 CJ Registry site (mentioned earlier by RPM Bob) has a great engine block ID page that may help you check yours for originality.

https://www.428cobrajet.org/id-block

Hi RavenConv - It sure sounds like kissing cousins 4sure. yah. They don't call it resale red 4 nothing. It would have been a toss up either red or black, would have made me happy !!!! What small block 351c 351w maybe, did they still use 289 that late ??  R U in So Cal, if so car is in the OC. I've been a ford guy all my life ( its what Dad had ) and taken shit from all back home in New England. This is like I died and went  to Ford heaven YAH.  Once I change the pan , and get a good look at the lower end, I'll know for sure.  I started this org. part chase 2 weeks ago, and the only part so far NOT OEM is the hood, even all lights ,bezels fixtures are Ford, although the last owner removed ram air and added 2 x 750 old school Carter 4.5 pro comp carbs ( Shelby Style) Thanks for the shout out