1969_Mach1

Valve Cover Gaskets

I have a set of Scott Drake cast aluminum valve covers.  I like the look of them but don't like that they still have a flange on the outer edge where the gasket sits.  My question is this, what gaskets fit these valve covers?  I prefer using a steel core rubber type gasket.  Here are the steel core gaskets I have tried: Fel-Pro perma-dry plus, OEM Ford steel core o-ring type, and cheap Summit Racing brand steel core rubber type.  These all seem to be a little too big.  I know the Fel-Pro steel core cork gaskets fit.  But I don't like the constant need to retighten the valve cover bolts as the gasket relaxes.  Am I stuck with a cork gasket if I want to use these valve covers?  Any input is appreciated. 

I am starting to think gluing a rubber non steel core gasket is the best option for these valve covers.  The only steel core gasket I have found that fits is the Fel-Pro performance gasket.  Basically it is two cork gaskets bonded to a steel core.  I've use them in the past.  They work.  But you constantly need to retighten the bolts as the cork never seems to stop relaxing regardless of how carefully and little you snug the valve cover bolts.

Been years since I needed to glue a valve cover gasket to hold it in place.  Modern steel core rubber or silicone gaskets seem to work so much better.

i don't know the part number, but i use a rubber felpro.  to fit within the small lip of the cobra valve covers, i have to trim a little off some of the edges in the corners.  i use a little high tack sealant to hold it in position.  

IMG_20180406_082352291.jpg

Thanks for everybody's help.  For now I reinstalled the set of Ford Racing I have.  Those have flat machined gasket surfaces to use modern type steel core gaskets.  Eventually I will get rubber gaskets and glue them onto the Scott Drake valve covers.

On 4/7/2018 at 1:20 PM, 1969_Mach1 said:

What do you use to glue them to the valve covers?  I use to use 3m weatherstrip adhesive when I was younger.  Is that it, or is there now something better?

you can use gaskacinch and it will stick right away. it's like contact cement.

Okay, I decided to go old school so I can install the Scott Drake valve covers.  I purchased Fel-Pro Performance 1614 rubber gaskets and they fit the valve covers perfectly.  I also got a bottle of Gasgacinch to glue them to the valve covers.