Sign in to follow this  
Print Dad

Steering box questions

Hello All,

I know this has been covered but I want to be sure of what I am getting into

I plan to pull the manual steering box and have it rebuilt. The car is stock 70 Mach 1 - 3 speed stick

I know I remove the 3 bolts holding the box to the rail,

remove the pitman arm (I have a puller).

I am a little confused on the rag joint. I bought a scott Drake replacement

I have the steering wheel pulled (had it rebuilt)

So now for the "goofy" questions 

1. - Will I be able to just pull the box and then work on the rag joint

2. - The unit I got has 2 bolts and 2 "stud type pieces" that look like they are riveted. DO these 2 studs just fit into the end of the column.I am pretty certain

the 2 bolts and nuts hold the joint to the column and am thinking the "studs" are just there as guides or a little extra prevention on the joint slipping

3. - Will the steering column want to drop if I don't have the steering wheel attached?

I see people grinding off the heads on the "rag joint" pins - but I am thinking that is only if they are rebuilding the original joint

The weather is starting to get a little better here and I gotta get moving on this. I do have shop manuals and I gotta get going on this.

Thanks once again for all the advice

Sam

Good morning Sam,

1) Pull off the pitman arm first, then remove the bolt that holds the rag joint to the steering box input shaft, then remove the 3 mounting bolts, then the steering box should come out. The other option would be to remove the 2 nuts & bolts that attach the rag joint to the steering shaft & remove the rag joint with the steering box.

2) The 2 studs on the rag joint fit into the 2 cut outs in the steering shaft, the retainer bolts go through the 2 holes in the steering shaft. Here are a couple pics of my disassembled steering column so you could see how it attaches.

53305-9-4-16-all-pieces-to-steering-colu

53289-9-2-16-completed-disassembly-musta

3) ?

Hello Mike,

Thanks so much for the great great help. The pictures are a great help.

I think I am making way too much out of this - -seems like it should be kinda simple.

I think I just gotta get out there and do it. Been in a winter funk and now I gotta get moving on this.

Thanks sooooooo much - -I can handle this for sure. It is pretty much what I though it would be.

Thanks

Sam

Hello Mike65,

I am trying to send you a message but it saying my in box is full. I deleted a bunch

of messages but still can't seem to compose a message.

First - -I should have mentioned the great looking work you did on the steering column.

I didn't realize they were kinda before and after shots - -(dah old age I guess on my part)

Anyway - -went out and sprayed the bolts associated with the box and rag joint with PB Blaster.

I was looking and it sure looks tight in there. The Z-bar is over the rag joint and the exhaust

manifold looks pretty tight.

I am hoping not to have to pull the steering column - -but I think there are only about 6 bolts that hold the

column in along with the wire connection.

I don't know what is wrong with me but since I retired I seem to have no confidence in my ability

I am thinking I may just try and pull the box and see if I can get it out without touching the column.

This should not be that difficult.

Snowed here today so didn't have the umph to start.

My son and is wife spent the week-end down in Jersey - - it is nice where she came from (Clinton).

Very pretty in the area - -not a lot to do but I sure like it there.

Thanks again - -Sam

Sam,

If you have to remove the steering column it is fairly easy & it may make getting the rag joint out easier. I would sooner pull the steering column instead of the steering box.  The last storm we only got rain where northern NJ got snow. Clinton (western NJ is very pretty) Sometimes I am a little iffy on something to do on the car & I used to be a mechanic, but like you said it is probably old age, I know the feeling. 

Also a good idea if you go this this extent, to check the rag joint it's self, if it feels hard and not too flexible, cracked or worn, replace that as well.Just move the steering wheel so each of the two bolts are facing upwards and remove one at a time.

Hello all,

I purchased the Scot Drake rag joint and if I get the steering box out I will replace the joint as well.

There is a lot of play and I am pretty certain the box needs rebuild.

Several of my friends are telling me to just get a new box.

I must admit have never pulled a column out - but the steering wheel is off

Thanks Again - - Sam

1. Remove the steering linkage from the arm.

2. remove the 12pt squeeze  bolt from the lower side of the rag joint completely. The connection is splined and the bolt hs a slot that holds it so it must be removed.

3. remove the 3 bolts holding the box to the frame and drop it out of the bottom.

Work smarter not harder.

If you have factory power steering, some play comes from the design of the control valve. For PS. Let someone wiggle the wheel and you look at the input to steering box and movement of the pitman arm, not the movement of the tires to see if you have play in the box.

Hello Mike65,

I have called Dan at Chock- he is the person I plan to have do the rebuild if it ever warms up here.

They are predicting snow and cool temps in the low 40's. I think the Mach is on hold for a few weeks

Thanks again all

Sam