Sign in to follow this  
69volunteer

Power to manual setup

Recently restored power steering setup. Rebuilt control valve, pump, box, new hoses. Still not happy with it. Makes a lot of noise and is sometimes not there at a dead stop and hard turn like backing into a parking space.

Also some slop still in the box which probably means I need a box.

ONE DAY far in the future I may look at R&P but if I could convert to manual and loose the slop and the whine with a small cost I would be tempted.

What is different between the two? I would obviously loose the pump and control valve. Steering link and pitman arm the same?

Pitman arm, center link for sure. I installed a roller idler arm from Opentracker. The parts suppliers show different idler arms for power and manual. I really doubt I'd ever switch mine back to power.

When I converted my p/s to manual I was rebuilding the entire front suspension & used manual steering parts, but Borgeson makes a manual steering conversion piece that goes in place of the control valve.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/borgeson-manual-steering-adapter-1967-1970/p/MSA2/?year=1968&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtOLVBRCZARIsADPLtJ1UnHWSaVCm76rjfdivLvvubhd6ZIheN6R4mBEBKaZ6FwzztU7i-fwaAiz_EALw_wcB

8 hours ago, Mike65 said:

When I converted my p/s to manual I was rebuilding the entire front suspension & used manual steering parts, but Borgeson makes a manual steering conversion piece that goes in place of the control valve.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/borgeson-manual-steering-adapter-1967-1970/p/MSA2/?year=1968&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtOLVBRCZARIsADPLtJ1UnHWSaVCm76rjfdivLvvubhd6ZIheN6R4mBEBKaZ6FwzztU7i-fwaAiz_EALw_wcB

I put one of these on mine last year. Mine didn't have a pump and the ram and valve were shot.  So to get it going and buy time til I figure out what I plan to do I went with it. For me it was big improvement over power valve with no pump. 

Your control valve and/or power steering pump might be worn too much to be rebuilt.  Also, rebuilding power steering pumps with kits from parts stores will usually only fix any leaks they might have had.  Those kits do not have any hard parts.  Sometimes its better to buy a new or rebuilt pump.  If replacing the pump it's safest to get one without the reservoir and swap your reservoir onto it.  The parts store pumps usually have the wrong reservoirs for Mustangs.

As far as play in the steering box, I wouldn't condemn it yet.  The gears could be too worn in which the box will not be any good.  Or, who ever rebuilt it did not set the center steer or worm bearing preloads high enough.  When the steering box is centered the worm and sector gears should have a slight interference fit between them.  Steering boxes should never have any gear to gear clearance for about 1/4-1/2 turn through the center steering position.  If the steering linkage is disconnected from the box, it is easy to feel the resistance when turning the steering wheel through the center position.  To adjust the worm bearing and center steer preloads you need an expensive dial type torque meter or an inexpensive old school bar type torque wrench.  Either one needs to measure in.-lbs in a range from 0 to about 30.  With steering linkage disconnected from the steering box, the torque meter or bar type torque wrench is attached to the steering wheel nut and you measure the torque to rotate the input (worm) shaft of the steering box.  The Ford service manuals which are reproduced and fairly inexpensive have detailed instructions.

If you want to convert to manual steering.  I also replaced the center link, steering arm, and idler arm like RPM did.  However, I did use a stock idler arm.  Eventually, after many years, I converted to a Borgeson power steering box and Saginaw pump.

4 minutes ago, skidmarky said:

There's your problem.

Get with Dan here http://www.chockostangclassicmustang.com/ super nice guy who knows his sh!t.

Yep. Dan truly is the man. I've talked with him on the phone, have one of his boxes, and you won't find a nicer man. Well, I mean other than me and a few guys on this forum.

These steering boxes are about the simplest you can find.  Anybody with the slightest mechanical ability and the Ford service manual can rebuild them.  The issue is only bearings, seals, and gaskets are available new.  If the sector gear, worm nut, or worm shaft are too worn, they cannot be replaced with new parts.  On top of that, it is designed so the worm shaft bearings ride directly on the ends of the worm shaft.  The bearings are made from harder material than the worm shaft, so the bearings wear indentations and grooves into the worm shaft.  From what I have heard, chockostang gets used hard parts that are not available new from other steering boxes to make one that is in decent condition.  So don't kid yourself.