KYB Gas-A-Just shocks are fairly rough on light weight cars.  This is more noticeable if you have strong springs.  I tried them once when I was younger on a 4WD Ford Ranger long bed.  The ride got pretty rough even with a stock suspension.  I replaced them after a few months.  Never used them on anything else since.  Koni now has a fairly low cost non adjustable street shock.  They are a low gas pressure hydraulic shock.  I recently installed a set on my Mach 1.  They are very robust and good quality compared to KYB or any other stock type replacement shock.

Low profile tires will also cause rough rides.  But, if you have 60 series or taller sidewall tires, I would first try a different shock.

1 hour ago, Midlife said:

I'd recommend stepping up to a used Grand Marquis or Lincoln Town Car.       Yep that one was good for a laugh.  In the 60's and early 70's, last century, my dad drove Lincoln's and yes that was a luxurious ride.  Around here we called them tuna boats.  Brian

I'm running KYB's and feel it is one of the best additions to the suspension.  I however went with everything else stock except for 2 things: a 1" front sway bar and the shelby-drop.   I put in brand new stock front springs.  If you have lowered the front like so many do, your spring rate can be much higher.  If you have large wheels and lower rifle tires that can affect ride stiffness too.  I personally find the KYB's great in a 95% stock setup.

I put in Viking 2 way adjustable on all 4 wheels and set them to zero for the fist 10 miles to break them in, now the ride is pretty good with them set at level 2 & 3.

I have Viking coilovers up front with global west control arms with Shelby drop and 4 1/2 leaf mid eye in the rear.

My experience in the past was I could never get single adjustable right to where I wanted them.

I think QA or Viking are good choices.

Going from stiff lowering springs to Eibach variable rate springs and keeping the same white KYB shocks made the ride much nicer

on a different car I swapped the white KYB to the grey KYB and used the same springs and the ride got a little better

I switched to the monroe matics and the ride is softer. I do have some other rattling that I need to look into. I have 1 inch lowering springs in the front and mid eye leafs in the back.

On that note, I have my black KYBs VERY lightly used to anyone who wants to pay for the shipping.

the shocks will only make a small change. if you want a big change, you must change something else. . the softest shocks you can get will be non gas charged and the cheapest ones possibly made but you are probably limited to the monroe matics, non gas kyb, and koni str-t.

2 hours ago, 69volunteer said:

I switched to the monroe matics and the ride is softer. I do have some other rattling that I need to look into. I have 1 inch lowering springs in the front and mid eye leafs in the back.

On that note, I have my black KYBs VERY lightly used to anyone who wants to pay for the shipping.

I'll take them if still available.

2 hours ago, 69volunteer said:

you had the non gas kyb shocks on it and the monroe matic gas shocks are softer?

I took the grey/silver KYB Gas-A-Just shock, stripped them and painted them white. Have them installed but as the car is not done yet, I am really looking forward to how they make the car handle. I have the extra Shelby leaf (AO Smith factory item) in the back and upgraded the front suspension to Open Tracker roller bearings on the perch, uca, and lac with the 1" Arning drop. All bushings front and rear are Prothane. Once the car is built and has a chance to settle, I'll be adding the Shelby Under Ride bars as well.

20180423_200136.jpg

I only changed out the front shocks and the ride is softer. Roads in Dallas (maybe everywhere) are horrible and so every little bump was felt with a rattle. The monroe's feel softer which has limited (but not eliminated) my rattle. Obviously the rattle is another story I need to investigate.

Dont get me wrong, I still would NOT describe this as a soft ride. I drove my friends 67 Camaro this weekend and his is a much smoother/Cadillac type ride. Granted his suspension is stock and probably original. No idea what shocks are on there.

I really dont push this car through the turns so I couldnt say on handling--my guess would be more squishy. 

I had the excel G (says they are gas). Also says they are 'calibrated to compensate for old suspensions'

https://www.cjponyparts.com/kyb-shock-front-excel-g-1965-1970/p/KYGR1/