rittenrotton

Rear Axle Question

To make a long story short, a few years ago I converted my 70 mustang from 200 ci to a 302 using a donor 70 mustang. Being new to this, I didn't realize the previous owners used the car for racing and beat the car to death. Needless to say, I am not sure of what (if any) modifications they made to the car. The axle tag reads WCZ-V which I believe means (if they didn't change anything on it) its an 8" with 2.79 gears and 28 spline. I am still very new to working on my car and want to change out the gears to a posi rear with 3.73 gears. Is this a hard thing to do on my own with no experience or am I better off bring it to a professional? 

if you don't know how to work on cars, i suggest you don't try it. also, you can not change the gears yourself unless you know how to set them up but changing the pumpkin with the gears already installed and set up in it is fairly easy if you know how to do work like change brake shoes etc.

Like stated above let a professional do it, I had a local pro set up the new gears, trac loc (posi), & install the new bearings in the 9" rear I put in my 69 Coupe, then I installed the newly rebuilt center section & axles in the rear end housing.

ok, so it seems that I'm better off having a professional rebuild my rear end and install new gearing? I've read about rear end swap with older model explorers and the benefits of it. Is that worth exploring (for a lack of a better word lol )?

Yep. A lot of people install rear ends from late 90's explorers. They are 8.8", disc brakes, and usually 3.73 gears. They are plentiful and can be found cheap.  I picked up one a few years ago for 75$.  I haven't installed it yet but hope to this summer.

It isn't something that just bolts in either though. 

I have done both.  I built my own 9" for my 1970 project.  I purchased a fully completed center section, and then assembled the rear myself.  Details are on my build thread.   

For my '68 coupe, I went with the Ford Explorer 8.8 swap.   Mine had 3.73 factory gears and disc brakes.  Some grinding and welding on new spring perches was required.

The big difference is cost.   I have maybe $500 in my Ford Explorer rear, including new rotors and pads.   It is a stock rear.

I have around $2000 invested in my 9" rear for my 1970, doing the work myself.  But...my 1970 has big bearing tubes, 31 spine axles, nodular 9" posi center section with Daytona pinion, and 2004 Cobra brakes with drilled/slotted rotors.   

Thanks Rsanter, definitely looking for the 373 gearing!

RPM - yeah, I've seen quite few of his videos. Pretty helpful but videos don't help with confidence ha ha Trying to find a friend that has experience welding (once I find the right axle) 

On 5/31/2018 at 6:09 PM, rittenrotton said:

Are any members in the NYC area and can recommend a shop that I can go to to have my rear axle gearing changed?

If you do not mind the drive there is a guy in south western NJ near the I-95 bridge to Delaware that did the rear in my 69 Coupe. If you pre-arrange it like I did he might let you wait while he does the work so you do not have to make 2 trips. Their name is 8and9inchfordrears, & he is located in Pennsville, NJ phone #-609-420-7113, Alan VonAhnen. Tell him you were refered by Mike Grentus from VMF.

OK rittenrotton got a name ?  If you would like to do this remove and replace yourself it is not difficult and may be a good learning experience ?  I have done a few of these and am doing the 9" in my CJ right now and put a 8" posi in my 65 not to long ago.  Can give you a step by step with picture's if your interested ?  I am sure the rest of the guys will help as well.  Brian

Barnet468 - thanks for the suggestion

mike65 - thanks, I might consider them but I'm hoping to find a place a little closer to me

Brian Conway - I have very limited mechanical skills and would love to try to do it myself (as that was one of my points of getting this car...to learn by doing); but quite few people have talked me out of it. Is it a tough thing to do. And this forum & it's members have been quite helpful in some of the past projects I have done!

I currently have cz-v axle which is an 8 inch non-locking, 28 spline with 2.79 gearing and its just not suitable for daily driving. I definitely want to put in 3.73 gearing and a locking rear. But I have no clue of what I would need and as I stated before, how difficult of a task this would be to do myself.

I'm hoping someone could answer this question for me...I found that Jegs sells a Remanufactured Rear Axle Assembly for 2004-2006 Ford F-150. I've been trying to find specs on it to see if it would work for my 70 mustang (as I know the explorer axles fit). I figured this would be the cheapest and best way for me to upgrade my rear end. Does anyone know if it will work (outside of changing the spring perches)?

http://https://www.jegs.com/i/ATK-Engines/059/RAXP2208C/10002/-1?CAWELAID=230006180040201486&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=44693592161&CATCI=pla-224362047431&catargetid=230006180039220355&cadevice=c&jegspromo=nonbrand&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm8e_jeXB3AIV1gOGCh0NzguDEAQYBSABEgI7svD_BwE

Thanks det0326, too ba it won't work

I'm looking for a newish one. I would love to get my axle rebuilt with 3.73 and locking rear end but I live in NYC with is not really classic car friendly. I called one place and they wanted $3k to put in yukon gears and such; way too expense. I might call a few other places but I am not optimistic. There's also not many junk yards around me, so it seems the best way for me to find a used explorer rear axle is driving 2 1/2 hours out to Pennsylvania or finding one online.