Sign in to follow this  
ralt962

Fiberboard in the trunk wheel well

Real basic question.  I've rebuilt the trunk area completely.  It was pretty rusted out.  I bought the piece that fits in the fender area.  Does it go on the LH side?  How does it attach?  Is the RH side open?

I dont have much to work from.  The PO left a rolled up card board piece that will be tossed.  

Are you talking about the cardboard that is like a lid for trunk drop area? If so, only on left side, spare covers the right side.you bend the ears 90 degrees and put it down like a lid (ears pointing down) under the trunk liner/mat.

11 hours ago, Brian Conway said:

Yeah pretty funky set up.  Brian

69 Trunk Filler Board.JPG

On 11/25/2017 at 11:05 PM, Ridge Runner said:

On 3/20/2018 at 3:28 PM, Mach1 Driver said:

Good picture.  Thanks for the feedback.  So those middle ears point down.  Hard to see a reason why.  But there must have been a process.  I can see some design engineer trying to figure out a low cost way to fill the hole.  

Looks like when you bend the ears down, they touch the vertical part of the trunk drop off and act as gussets preventing the board to fall in or slide out of position. Cheap way to cover the hole so stuff won't fall in, also keeps the trunk mat flat.