69isfine

Frame Alignment before Paint

Was the figment bad before teardown? I assemble the panels, doors quarter extensions, bumpers, door handles before paint and check fitment. This way if something needs to be fixed, you can see and fix before paint.

11 minutes ago, barnett468 said:

unless the car was wrecked, it is pointless to have it checked for being straight.

I think I'd add does the car sit level.  Or does it lean to one side for unknown reasons?  If it sits level and has never been wrecked, probably okay.  Shock towers leaning inward are the other common issue.  Even on cars that were never in an accident.  $1000 sounds like a steep price to pay for measurements.

Can't see why it should cost $1000 to have the frame checked for alignment.  I'd be a little cautious of laying out that kind of cash as I don't think anything they can find will make that big of a difference.... I haven't had that done so, I don't know.  My rebuild didn't need it, the body shop got all teh panels properly aligned with a frame that had had 2 minor hits/repairs prior to my owning it.

You know there are frame specs in the back of the ford manual.

you can take basic measurements yourself and inspect for any signs of past damage.

if there are no signs of past damage and the measurements you take are very close, then why would you need the next step

When I had a 68 GT Coupe back in the 80's I had a f/e accident with it where I had to replace the radiator support & r/s front inner fender panel & did not see any frame damage so I did NOT have the frame checked & it went back together just fine & everything line up.