Sign in to follow this  
edwards54

Starter Solenoid -Melted wire

Being in the mid-west I have recently taken my car out of storage.  After running for a few hours the positive cable running to the starter melted off the Solenoid.  The metal end melted and broke off.  My thought is to replace the solenoid and  put on a new wire end on and see if that fixes the problem.  Is this common?  Any thoughts on what caused it other than a loose wire or corrosion?  

If you are using the stock type starter, there should be no power at that terminal with the engine running.  If there is, the starter would not have disengaged when you released the key after the engine started.  With that in mind my first thought is the cable end might have been corroded and overheated while cranking the engine.  Replace it with a good quality cable.  On some, the ends are crimped on but not sealed very well.  It's best when the cable ends are soldered on and sealed with shrink tubing.  Replacing the solenoid is probably not needed but good insurance.