Sign in to follow this  
edwards54

Installing new Seat Belts

I am installing new three point seat belts in my 69 Fastback.  Previously I have only used lap belts.  I was able to find the bracket behind the headliner, but have been unsuccessful with finding a working bolt.  C.J. Pony parts sells them  

• Fr. Seat Belt Mtng. Kit - Shoulder Straps 4 Pcs. 1967-1973  for $22.00.   
  • has anyone successfully used a bolt from a hardware store?  Does anyone know the size of the bolt?
  •  
  • Thanks, Bob  

On 3/17/2018 at 4:27 PM, edwards54 said:

I am installing new three point seat belts in my 69 Fastback.  Previously I have only used lap belts.  I was able to find the bracket behind the headliner, but have been unsuccessful with finding a working bolt.  C.J. Pony parts sells them  

• Fr. Seat Belt Mtng. Kit - Shoulder Straps 4 Pcs. 1967-1973  for $22.00.   
  • has anyone successfully used a bolt from a hardware store?  Does anyone know the size of the bolt?
  •  
  • Thanks, Bob  

I would really recommend using the correct bolts.  Seat belt loads when you need them are extremely high.  It needs a tough bolt that gives but does not break.  Similar to a grade 5 but not exactly the same.  Try NPD.  I've found their fasteners are always lower cost than CJs.  Not sure why.  I just added 3 points to the front of mine.  I would suggest getting the kit that has the brackets and bolts already included.  I had to fab my own brackets for the tensioner that sits on the floor.  CJ's sells the kit with fasteners.  NPD is good for just the bolts.

Very similar.  They do have the shoulder bolt design.  

The Scott Drake belts I bought had to be hogged out a bit for the shoulder bolt.  They should rotate freely but without much slop.

There are 2 length bolts for the seat belts, could be front and rear are different lengths. I used the shorter ones for the shoulder strap at the roof location as depth could be an issue.

I tried installing a 3-point seat belt kit that NPD sells in my 1969 Mach 1.  The issue I had was the retractors are larger than the those on the original lap belts so the front seats could not move all the way back.  For me that wouldn't work.  With the drivers seat all the way back leg room is still minimal.  NPD let me return them for a refund.

I recall the kit came with grade 5 standard hex bolts and not shoulder bolts like the originals, which I thought was not the correct way of installing seat belts.  I'd suggest using the shoulder bolts if the holes in the mounting brackets are the correct size.

My 69 had a smaller dia. shoulder bolt that mounts the bracket at the roof. It has been a while but I seem to recall the floor pan bolts being a size larger than the one at the roof. I too installed the 3 point seat belts and the only problem was the bracket at the roof needs an extension to lower it a bit . The way mine was the shoulder belt is near the throat area. Not a good position.  

Can't remember now where I purchased my belts (been about 3 years) after I realized they were to high I purchased the extenders from them.  There are some on ebay and other places but they did not have any cover over the bolt at the roof but the ones I got did so it just looks better.  If it hits me where I got them I will post and let you know.