Sign in to follow this  
mymachone

Power steering belt

Did a search , no results.

So I installed the Borgeson steering pump in my 69 351 , with A/C .  I am replacing the ford unit.

anyhow , the belt I bought a Napa , 2 differant ones because they show 2 for differant production schedule's , 

neither of them fit ( to short ) , I can not find my original belt from when i took the. Old system out , so no way to compare.

anyone experience this ?

24 minutes ago, aslanefe said:

Estimate how much longer you need the belt, take the short one to Napa and ask for a belt that much longer. Or get a few different lengths and take back the ones that do not fit.

This my plan but I just wanted to know if this was normal ?

Take a piece of 1/4" to 1/2" rope make sure it's riding on the V groove not on the bottom of the pulleys rap it around, cut it to length. They can use for the correct diameter. 

Did this with Mercruiser engines with belts from 45" to 106"

Make sure your pulleys are aligned before going belt shopping.  With my 351w (non ac) borgeson pump (69' heads) I had to grind the pump mount pedestals quite a bit to get everything lined up properly. Afterwards I needed a .75"" shorter belt. The alignment didn't even look off that much.