jgkurz

Cleaning black adhesive and tar from trim

Hi All,

I have removed the windshield, rear glass, and doors from my fastback in preparation or paint.  I also have removed the chrome roofrail weatherstrip channels from each door frame. 

All items have black adhesive on the back side that is very difficult to remove. The windshield frame and rear glass frame is also full of the rope style tar adhesive.

Are there any tricks to cleaning this black evil from my parts? 55 gallon drum of acetone? Just kidding..kind of. 

-John

I used mineral turpentine. I think you guys call it white spirit. Test to make sure it won't damage paint of trim. I have never had issues with it damaging these but better safe than sorry.

If using thinner I would only try enemal thinner. Acrylic thinner will probably damage paint and trim.

4 hours ago, bigmal said:

I used mineral turpentine. I think you guys call it white spirit. Test to make sure it won't damage paint of trim. I have never had issues with it damaging these but better safe than sorry.

If using thinner I would only try enemal thinner. Acrylic thinner will probably damage paint and trim.

Our generic hardware store paint thinner is just one type and won't damage old school paint jobs but it can affect the paint jobs on newer cars as I have had the displeasure of finding out.