N.D Mach 1

Changing from manifold to headers

Hey everyone. Ive been looking for some headers for my car and cant seem to find anyone that suggests that header will work for cars with a fmx transmission. I also have power brakes power steering. Any suggestions? Would thinking that if a header is ok to use with a aod transmission I should be fine?

I also use the JBA 1653 headers.  I like them.  But if you look at the position of the collector on the drivers side JBA 1653 header, when installed it is directly above the factory power steering ram.  It makes attaching exhaust difficult.  That plus stock clutch linkage on my car made connecting exhaust look almost impossible.  That is one of the reasons I switched to the Borgeson power steering box.

The collector position on the factory exhaust manifold is positioned specifically so the exhaust easily clears the power steering ram and factory clutch linkage. 

I have the Hooker Competition full length headers. You don't say what engine you have, but I have a 351W. These headers worked with the FMX I had originally, and they still work with the Tremec T-56 Magnum I have installed now. They  worked with the original steering box, and with the TCP Power Rack 'n Pinion I have now. These are quality headers. They don't hang low, and you won't scrape the road. Pictures of them installed with the FMX, and with the T-56 after a 'lil TLC. I had them re-coated. 

26746813308_ec21332920_b.jpg

35907363675_f88dbfb4fe_b.jpg

I originally put in Hookers from Summit.  They stated it fit the 302 and 351.  But that was incorrect.  The 351 has a taller deck height.  Headers need to be made specifically for the 351 or they will interfere with the body structure.  I ended up with Dougs  that I bought from Summit (they were great and took back the Hookers).  The 3/4 Dougs did not need the PS bracket changed and fit in without moving the engine.  Fit great with PS/PB and the FMX.  

14 hours ago, ralt962 said:

I originally put in Hookers from Summit.  They stated it fit the 302 and 351.  But that was incorrect.  The 351 has a taller deck height.  Headers need to be made specifically for the 351 or they will interfere with the body structure.  I ended up with Dougs  that I bought from Summit (they were great and took back the Hookers).  The 3/4 Dougs did not need the PS bracket changed and fit in without moving the engine.  Fit great with PS/PB and the FMX.  

I do believe that the JBA 1563's are designed for the 351w

http://www.pertronix.com/

16 minutes ago, fvike said:

I do have PS.

N.D Mach, unless I am misunderstanding your comment,1fvike's photos looks to have had a rack and pinion setup installed in place of the stock Mustang steering system. That would be why it looks different.

1 hour ago, N.D Mach 1 said:

I guess what I meant there is being he has a aftermarket ps the long tube headers he has could pose a problem with fitment?.. I would love long tube instead of shorties if I had to choose. 

Nope, no problems. Used them with the original PS pump, and the new KRC PS pump is much smaller, so definitely no fitment issues.