Print Dad

Stuck - DI or TMI upholstery

Hello All,

Once again I am stuck with an issue - -PLease bear with me as I explain

I talked to a local recommended upholstery shop about re-doing the front seats in our 70 Mach.

He recommended Distinctive  Industries  cover and TMI foam with the listing wire.

I did a LOT of searching for DI covers. They list about 80 places to buy. I then checked those suggested places.

The places I called from the list - do not sell Distinctive. I am talking MU - Cal Mustang, Sacramento Must,

on and on 

I checked with DI  and they gave me a part number. I then called a popular MUstang supplier and ordered the materials.

I told them I wanted TMI foam and DI covers. I was figuring about 6-8 weeks. Well the stuff came today after about a week of ordering and all parts are TMI

I called the upholsterer and he said let me look at the stuff. I called the vendor and I must say I am a bit upset - -they gave me a bit of a run around and 

said well we sent you an off brand cover - -but it is shipped from TMI - in their box - - Not real happy but not sure if this a BIG deal or not.

If it is - I am going to have some issues returning the covers and then trying to find a place that sells DI.

So my question are  - - -

1. - Is Distinctive material worth the extra work to try and exchange.

2. - I guess what I am asking is the TMI comparable to DI

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated as always

I know this may seem like a tiny issue to most - -but I don't like not getting what I ordered

Thanks - -Sam

Hello MAC390.

Thanks for the reply. The seats look great. I am just not certain what to do.

I am NOT happy that CJ took all my info including the DI part number and then

shipped the TMI - - Maybe the TMI will work but they should have sent what I ordered

I am kinda hoping people will tell me that the TMI are just as good or better than TMI

Thanks - -Sam

Hey Print Dad, when i ordered my seat foams and seat coverings, i got them from CJ.

I asked for the best quality as i am in Australia you are stuffed when it comes to return inferior parts.

CJ sent these out and i must say the foams with the built in listing wires were great and my trim man who does does high end hot rod interiors said they .were good.

This only my observation , worked for me.

Hello MAC390

Thanks again - to me the TMI looks great - but the upholsterer guy asked me to

get Distinctive Industries and that is what I ordered from CJ  Perhaps the TMI will

be better but I don't know enough about upholstery to know the difference.

Yes the upholsterer told me to get the TMI foam with listing wires. I am going to

ask a few people to try and determine what the difference is in the 2 products.

I know this is a hard question - -if you ask 100 people who likes chevy and who likes

Fords - I would probably get a 50/50 answer. I just want to try to get the best product for

our "baby"  LOL

THANKS SO much - -Sam

DSCF0562.JPG

Hey Print Dad.  Not Sure if your still looking but Summit Racing has DI stuff.  Didn't compare prices or anything like that.  But I've always had good luck getting what I ordered from Summit.  CJ has pulled fast ones on me before.

https://www.summitracing.com/oh/search/brand/distinctive-industries/year/1969/make/ford/model/mustang?N=4294871557&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&retaillocation=oh

Hello MN69Grande

Thanks so much for the link. We had a blizzard and the upholstery shop

said to wait a few days to bring the seats in. He is going to tell me what he thinks.

I don't know enough to insist on DI - but that is what he first recommended.

I am still not happy that CJ shipped TMI especially after I was VERY specific on 

the brand and part number. I plan to take the stuff to the shop beginning of next week 

if we don't get another winter storm. I know eventually spring will come   LOL

Thanks again  - SAm