TomM

70 FB Backup Switch Wire Routing

I have a 70 FB with the Ford 3spd manual trans.  I bought as a rolling shell so I don't have a lot to go on.  When I installed the engine/tranny I routed the backup switch wiring along the exterior/underside of the floor board up to the square connector on the firewall in the engine bay.  Now that I am replacing the carpet I'm wondering if the wiring should be routed under the carpet.  Although this would get the wiring on the interior, it would still have to exit the firewall to mate with the plug.  Also, it seems it would get pinched under the shifter boot bracket.  Does anyone know if the wiring from the switch on the shift linkage should be interior or exterior up to the plug in the engine bay?  Thanks, Tom

I’m just guessing here, I think 3 and 4 speeds routed under the floor,  I’m interested because I just plugged my reverse switch up and let hang down on my restoration because 1) my jack just got threw in the scrap because it started leaking off  2) I don’t know the proper routing yet or have any hardware if it’s required. 

It's routed from the firewall down  under the car, through the transmission tunnel. 

You should invest in a set of the "Orange" books if you have a bare shell.  I am in the same situation, and they are the best possible reference..highly recommended.

http://www.osborn-reproduction.com/catalog/ProductList.asp?rsProduct_Action=Filter("CAT+%3D+'AMM1'")&rsProduct_Position=PAR