Sign in to follow this  
ralt962

Installing new rocker Molding

Looking for some advice on installing new rocker moldings on a 69 Mach 1.  The car orignially came with mouldings so holes are there except for the screw hole at the back.  Body guys must have covered over that one.  Also the pass side fender came from a base car that had the "Mustang" badge on the lower part of the front fender.  Those holes have been covered.

My question is the molding is straight but the front fender seems to flair out so that I will need to force the molding back against the body to clip it in.   Is this the norm?  Or is my fender installation not quite right.  

Any other tips for installation?

You need to adjust your fender so it is inline with the rocker panel and straight, you shouldn't need to force the molding to clip it on.  You can rework the couple inches of the front part of the aftermarket moulding to match the curve of the fender flare though.

The molding is certainly dead straight.  No curvature.   The moldings I have are in bad shape.  Someone used a sharp tool to pry them off so they small indentures in them all along.  

I'll see how much movement I can get in the fender.  I doubt its an OEM fender.  

Sounds like both steps will be necessary.  

thanks for the tips.