russ69coupe

Been a long time since I've been here

Not sure how many years. I don't expect anyone to remember me.

Brief life update, we've been back in the Phoenix area for almost 4 years after living in Ohio for the previous 8. Got laid off there, couldn't find a decent electronic tech job so we moved back. Only took about 3.5 years here to find a decent job. But I can say it is a really good job paying stupid good money. Working on avionics at a very large company, doing customer returns/repairs.

No 69 Mustang. Still hoping I can get another one some day before I get too old. Already 58.

I do have a 72 Ranchero GT with a 351C (2V) and auto. It's down, needing me to get off my rear and finish the front suspension rebuild and also needs floors. I had some health issues that took me out for about a year, just getting physically and financially able to get back into it. Got some floors lined up as soon as I get some cash I am expecting. Then I get to learn to weld. Scary thought. But at least the Ranchero is a full frame car, not a unibody like a Mustang. I didn't want to learn on a Mustang. Long story short, the Ranchero ate the front tires. While digging into the front end I needed to pull the column. Had to pull the driver's seat and that is when I found the floors were shot. Got most of the front end parts, was getting ready to install them and found out I needed triple bypass surgery. Trying to get this done this year. I really miss driving it. A 72 Ranchero is one of the top 3 cars for me, the others being a 69 Mustang Coupe and a 70 GTO. Starting to think those two are out of my price range.

Also have a 72 Pinto wagon project (this is the only one that was SUPPOSED to be a project) that is on hold, and an 89 Mustang LX hatchback with a 2.3 and auto that is close to running. It's the one that I should get on the road the soonest, but it's the least liked of the ones I have. Bought it cheap for my wife to drive, but it needed a little more work than I had hoped, and of course the health stuff interfered again. Was hoping it would scratch my Mustang itch, but nope. Not even close.

I wasn't even sure if this site was still around, but someone posted a link today on the vmf site.

Russ

9 hours ago, russ69coupe said:

we've been back in the Phoenix area... couldn't find a decent electronic tech job.... I can say it is a really good job paying stupid good money. Working on avionics at a very large company, doing customer returns/repairs.

Welcome back Russ, if that company happens to be Prescott, say hi to my son Ryan- he's doing the same thing 

Thanks, all.

As far as the job being Prescott, nope. UTAS (formerly Hamilton Sundstrand).

My love of 72 Rancheros began when my dad bought one in 1977 while I was in Navy boot camp. That was the car I drove when I would be home on leave. Always wanted one, finally found one within my budget 3 years ago. Unfortunately I found  out the reason it was so cheap compared to others, but I couldn't replace it now even if I wanted to, so learning how to weld is now a must. I have had a 60 and a 69, but the 72's are by far my favorite.

I still want another 69 Coupe, but the prices have gotten so high on those I doubt I will be able to buy one without winning the lottery. I cringe whenever I remember how cheaply I got rid of my project 69 because of a title issue. Oh, well. Maybe someday. If I get decent at welding I can consider buying more of a rust bucket. Although here in Phoenix there aren't that many of those around.

Russ

There's a ton of rust-free old cars hiding in Arizona, that '69 coupe still may turn up.

There's a 1971 Ranchero on Craig's List right now that's got the original 429 in it that I would love to get but I don't have the cash :)