Print Dad

2000 Mustang Fuel pump????

Hello All,

I know this is not related to 69/70 but I am asking for a little help and ideas trying to help

our son with his 2000 - 6cyl coupe. I like this forum a LOT

I am going to be a little lengthy in the hopes that someone can offer a few tips or ideas.

The car sat (new england winter) for about 3 months with a dead battery and a full tank of gas.

My son installed a new battery 2 days ago and the car started right up.

The following day the car would not start. It cranked well but no start. 

He had me take a look - - I checked the fuel pump fuse - -OK

I sprayed some starter fluid (i know this is bad for the cylinders) and the car would run.

I am not going to use any more starter fluid - - -cyl walls must ne dry by now.

I know it is getting spark - - -I am thinking it is the fuel pump and or filter.

One issue that concerns me is that the tank is full and I am not that pliable working on my back.

I do not hear the pump when I put the key to the on position but that is likely my old ears

I was wondering if anyone has thoughts or suggestions - - 

Any advice greatly appreciate

Sam = =print dad

Print Dad - Sam

I have replaced 3 fuel pump shut off switches in the past year ,for some reason they quit making internal contact ,even if i trip the switch and re set . 

Another thing to check is the crank sensor plug in ,it can get dirt and grease in it and loose contact . Unplug it and flush it out and plug back in . The crank sensor can cause problems also ,it sends a signal to the computer telling the fuel pump to run

Another item to check is make certain the injectors are cycling.  With a stethoscope, you should hear them cycling.  Also, remove the gas cap and listen for the fuel pump when the ignition key is cycled on.

Like Ridge Runner mentioned, the crank sensor and cam sensor can cause no start issues.  Crank sensor failure is more common than cam sensor failure.  However, usually there is no spark if the crank sensor fails.  I think (not certain) the cam sensor controls the injector timing.  It was at least that way on late 1994-1999 models.

Sam, I just went through a problem with my wife's 99 Explorer Sport where when the temp was above freezing the truck would start, when colder it would not & I would not hear the pump run when I would turn the key on. I checked on a Explorer forum & I was told that is the beginning of the fuel pump going bad. I have since replaced the fuel pump & it has been fine since. If you can not hear the pump run I would take a fuel pressure gauge & check the pressure at the schrader valve which I believe is on the fuel rail. Sounds to me like a bad fuel pump.

Hello Mach1 Rider, Ridge Runner, 69Mach, Vicfreg, Mike 65,

I gotta say THANKS for all the ideas, tips and advice. Why don't they just put

carburetors on these cars   LOL - at least I would have a fighting chance 

As a side note - -crazy weather here in Taxachusetts- - 75 today and tomorrow snow

I would like to comment to each responder

Mach1 Rider - -I now know where the shrader valve is - -I will check

Ridge Runner - I will see if I can "jump the switch" - -  What side is the crank sensor on- -I will try to figure that out

I feel that it has something to do with the fuel pump - -the car will run for 30 seconds with the starter fluid - but

Not going to use that anymore - - 

I will get a pressure gauge and check - - then I will have my wife turn on the key as I put my ear near the tank - - 

Thanks for taking the time to read and post for this. Dang cars and kids   LOL....he's 30... and his wife is expecting

OH boy I am gonna be a grandpa - -yikes    LOL

Thanks again and I will post results in a day or two depending on weather

Be well - -work safe - - Sam

Have a 2001GT had the pump go out on mine several years ago just sitting in the garage for the winter.  Went to start it in the Spring and nothing, motor would turn over just not fire.  Couldn't hear the pump prime, dropped tank and put in new pump with no problems since.

Hello All,

I figured I would post results on this in the hopes it may help someone else

I checked the fuse for the fuel pump - -checked the inertia switch

Couldn't hear the pump come on - -check to see if voltage was getting to the pump

it was getting current so I whacked the tank with a rubber mallet  - -pump came on

the car started - - shut it off - -the car would not start - - 

Time for a new pump and filter

Thanks again - -Sam